Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Markmcg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
If you have dived in Australia and/or New Zealand, this site is for you.

https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/australasian-fishes

Australasian Fishes allows you to upload your images where they will be identified and commented on by members of the community (often scientists).

Together we are building a massive online ‘library’ of observations that will aid in the identification of fishes and contribute to scientific research.

Please consider joining the community and uploading images. I encourage everyone to join. :)

Best Fishes,
Mark

Haven't been diving there yet, but I wish you luck. Really like the site as well!

btw with my marketing hat on: In the future, avoid the word "need" which people often shy away from. It can also help to focus on what the site can do for people (cause sadly, most people are selfish). So a subject line & a main discussion point of getting fish photos identified & commented on by the scientific community could be good. Some people may also be drawn to aiding scientific research with a simple upload of a photo. Since the site has leaderboards, a 3rd option could be to draw out the competitive nature of people with see how good you really are with fish id.

Thank you NYCNaiad. Thank you for your comments. You can tell that I am a scientist and not an expert in marketing. :) I agree with your comment that many people are selfish. The advantage of Australasian Fishes is that users can have their images identified, so there is something in it for them. It sounds like I should have consulted an expert. Anyway, you need to get down here some time to do some diving (and then upload the images! :)). Thanks again.

I don't appear to be able to change the title, so I'm afraid we're stuck with it. :)

Well, you won't just have one post right? Including another post or 2 during different times of the day over the course of a month & also including posts on some other diving social sites will help. I'll start by posting on a site for women divers. :)

Thank you, that would be fantastic. Please send me the URL when done. You are right, I'll add content regularly. I've been doing a weekly journal entry on the site that publicizes the main finding of the week. I'll add posts from now on. Here is the journal, Australasian fishes's Journal · iNaturalist.org.

Probably also worth pointing out that this is a government supported project and not just a bunch of people trying to scam photographers for free photos :)

I have to admit that was my initial thought until I clicked through (it's happened on these forums before), so you might want to clarify that upfront in your postings.

Probably also worth pointing out that this is a government supported project and not just a bunch of people trying to scam photographers for free photos :)

I have to admit that was my initial thought until I clicked through (it's happened on these forums before), so you might want to clarify that upfront in your postings.

That's a good point. I noticed that too, but neglected to add it in my suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom