Free flow at 75 feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sip air from the side? I have never heard of that. Is that the standard from some agency?

Glad you did OK.

When I was OW certified through PADI last summer this is one of the techniques we were taught. It's odd to think that you can "sip" air from a free flow but it actually works and is very effective. You get a nice clean breath of air that is not mixed w. water.

I recommend anyone w. excess air to try it under safe circumstances (simulate a free flow w. purge on reg) so they can experience for themselves what could turn out to be an important option.

When I was OW certified through PADI last summer this is one of the techniques we were taught. It's odd to think that you can "sip" air from a free flow but it actually works and is very effective. You get a nice clean breath of air that is not mixed w. water.

You also get air with no water if you just continue breathing normally. The bubbles are distracting, but not dangerous.

It's physically impossible for a regulator to deliver "too much" air, since any excess will exit the exhaust valve.

flots.

I recommend anyone w. excess air to try it under safe circumstances (simulate a free flow w. purge on reg) so they can experience for themselves what could turn out to be an important option.

I believe it can be done-I just don't see the point. Keep the reg in your mouth.

Not the best option, but it is possible to stop the flow to a second stage by bending the air hose back on itself, like with a garden hose. This would be in a true emergency, with no other sources of air available; in which case toggling the tank valve on and off would be a better option.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom