Free flowing Mares abyss

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's either a 32 or post-2008 MR22. Maybe Zef can tell the difference. They are basically identical internally and have the same spec IP range of 142-148psi 9.8-10.2bar (or kg/cm2, same thing at this level of measurement).

I think sand in the second stage is the more likely explanation, but it's still worth getting an IP gauge and checking it out just to be sure.

Given that it has what looks to be Mares branded mi-flex type hoses, my educated guess is that it is a MR22 manufactured/purchased in the last handful of years. My understanding is that both the V32 and the MR32 had a plastic shroud around the entire body of the 1st stage, where as the revised (cut down) MR22 had just the black plastic ring around the LP side of the reg as shown on the picture that was posted, if this was a V32 or MR32 and the plastic shroud was removed there would not be a ring left like in the picture.

@jf3193 a picture from the other side would with any printing visible and clear would help us a bit more in our endeavor to identify what you have...but I am almost certain it is a MR22, and as @lowwal pointed out the IP is the same regardless.

-Z

Given that it has what looks to be Mares branded mi-flex type hoses, my educated guess is that it is a MR22 manufactured/purchased in the last handful of years. My understanding is that both the V32 and the MR32 had a plastic shroud around the entire body of the 1st stage, where as the revised (cut down) MR22 had just the black plastic ring around the LP side of the reg as shown on the picture that was posted, if this was a V32 or MR32 and the plastic shroud was removed there would not be a ring left like in the picture.

@jf3193 a picture from the other side would with any printing visible and clear would help us a bit more in our endeavor to identify what you have...but I am almost certain it is a MR22, and as @lowwal pointed out the IP is the same regardless.

-Z
Good point on the plastic trim. You can see the end of the "Tri-material valve" logo, so its an MR version. Which reminds me that I have a new old stock MR22t. Here it is from a similar angle:
IMG_20201014_162923955_HDR~2.jpg

I'm pretty sure jf3193 has an MR22t with the following coldwater kit.

MRSCWDK32.jpg

-Z

Attachments

• 75F7C43A-69B1-4983-8170-373374FB1D50.jpeg
    75F7C43A-69B1-4983-8170-373374FB1D50.jpeg
    54.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 5EB3CF23-EE65-4414-BA1B-7C88D3267F1E.jpeg
    5EB3CF23-EE65-4414-BA1B-7C88D3267F1E.jpeg
    58.3 KB · Views: 64
See if that helps? I don’t really see any other writing other than Mares on the 1st.

See if that helps? I don’t really see any other writing other than Mares on the 1st.
It's worn off. This is what it looked like originally.
2020-10-14 16.46.41.jpg

With the CWD kit installed the intermediate pressure should be set lower. @jf3193 the correct IP range is:
130 PSI to 136 PSI (9.0 to 9.4 bar).

It would be interesting if your shop's tech set it to the range for without the CWD kit...I imagine most MR22 regs passing through a shop are without the CWD kit and the tech did not cross reference the correct specs.

-Z

With the CWD kit installed the intermediate pressure should be set lower. @jf3193 the correct IP range is:
130 PSI to 136 PSI (9.0 to 9.4 bar).

It would be interesting if your shop's tech set it to the range for without the CWD kit...I imagine most MR22 regs passing through a shop are without the CWD kit and the tech did not cross reference the correct specs.

-Z
Is the lower IP necessary for function or just to help avoid ice formation due to pressure drop in very cold water? The problem occurred in Bonaire, so it wasn't a freeze up.

Is the lower IP necessary for function or just to help avoid ice formation due to pressure drop in very cold water? The problem occurred in Bonaire, so it wasn't a freeze up.

Just did some reading....it seems like, as you suggest, the lower IP is designed to reduce the flow to the 2nd stage to prevent it from freezing in cold water.

An IP check is still recommended for the OP, as it could have left the shop during the last service with a high IP. I purchased a deluxe IP gauge from Dive Gear Express a few months ago and found that both my old MR22 1st stages were set above the correct range stipulated by Mares. A quick adjustment with a 10mm allen key along with a few smacks of the 2nd stage purge buttons and things were set to the correct specs.

-Z

Just did some reading....it seems like, as you suggest, the lower IP is designed to reduce the flow to the 2nd stage to prevent it from freezing in cold water.

-Z
Correct. For warm water diving where you're using the cold water kit just to keep things pristine inside, there's nothing wrong with going to the higher IP.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom