Free Flowing Nose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Breathe in slower than the reg's delivering and the excess gas will find another place to go.
If the secondary is delivering more than you 'request' then the secondary is free-flowing. How does one breathe in less than the secondary is delivering unless it is a free-flow?

If you ask for air with your soft palate wide open then your secondary will gladly bubble your mask if your secondary is set 'hot'.

Does she bubble between breaths with a heavily detuned reg? Taking the reg out of one's mouth forces a glottal stop. I would think that she doesn't close her throat off on each breath. Hot tuned secondary and lazy soft palate, IMHO.

Physiology isn't designed for having compressed gas forcefully blown into our mouths. Breathe in slower than the reg's delivering and the excess gas will find another place to go.
I thought about my question and figured the answer was something like that. Air traveling from mouth area to out the nose would seem to be uncomfortable, no? Maybe not?

I have / had this problem. It does not happen all the time though. Once when I became aware of this happening, I stopped breathing to see if it had something to do with the way I was breathing. Small bubbles kept coming out of my mask even though I was deliberately holding my breath. It is annoying when it occurs, but apparently not dangerous.

I would think that she doesn't close her throat off on each breath. Hot tuned secondary and lazy soft palate, IMHO.

I also tried to analyze this after the first couple of times and I blame swimming: I keep the soft palate open, especially on exhale, because it helps keep chlorine out of my nose. I normally don't close my throat even going into the filp turn, for the same reason: that's when you really want to push a little air into your nose. I swam for decade or so as a kid, and now it takes a conscious effort to close off the soft palate. (On the plus side "never holding my breath" is easy.)

It's mostly a good thing: I never equalize the mask or the ears, I just breathe normally and it all sorts itself out. :D

Also may try having her keep a bit of water in her mask that will make her keenly aware of when she is or is not using her nose

My mask slowly leaks. Once in a while I do the mask clearing deal. A bit of annoying, but I can live with it, until I look up and get water straight into my nose, throat and choking. How do I prevent it from happening other than not looking up while diving?

How do I prevent " it " from happening other than not looking up while diving?
Stop the leaking or stop being choked?

As for choking, look half-way up and put a finger on your mask at the bridge of the nose and then exhale through the mask. That should clear it every time. Then continue looking up...

Stop the leaking or stop being choked?

As for choking, look half-way up and put a finger on your mask at the bridge of the nose and then exhale through the mask. That should clear it every time. Then continue looking up...

It’s easier said than done. When a whaleshark appears above me, my hands are full as I’m holding a camera. I’ll immediately look up. Exhaling through the mask splattered the water on the mask & fogged up the mask.

I did some editing of the video below to cut off piece when I was choking.

May be if I just slowly exhale while looking up or like you said continue looking up once the water cleared out of the nostrils.

Sometimes I was able to stop the leak by strapping the mask tight against my face, but after the dive, I can see clearly the mask skirt mark stamped around my face.

Next time if there are some water in the mask, before I look up, I’ll just take time to clear the mask. If I miss the Kodak moment, so be it, rather than choking.

Beautiful vid! :clapping:

Suggestion: Start with your mask strap noticeably (uncomfortably) loose and keep trying one more 'click' tighter on each side. I get less water in with a rather loose strap, others will find another setting works better for them. If you can't find a strap setting that works perfectly then try a new mask design.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom