free flowing reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"If a reg freezes at depth and there wasn't an obvious cause (like bumping a purge or some other large gas demand) I wouldn't use the reg again in those conditions. Even if the reg thawed I would still end the dive."

Sorry, didn't make that clear. YES absolutely end the dive. Just that if it is easier and safer to make the ascent without sharing air. Every situation is different. Sounded like this one was in relatively shallow water and air supply wasn't an urgent issue

I dive mostly cold water and have only had one reg freeze and that one had the purge bumped on the edge of the ice. [/B][/QUOTE]

Me too (cold water). Free flows are somewhat common, especially when teaching "Deep Diver". Often diver stress increases breathing rate then, SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS-freeze up.

I feel that it is important to calm the diver down. Fix the problem (assuming it is a simple one), then make a normal ascent. Often students get pretty uneasy and ascend too quickly. If the reg issue is solved (in their mind), they are more comfortable. Need to be ready with the alternate in case the problem repeats.

Of course the all around best action in a low on or out of air emergency is the Alternate air source (textbook PADI).

Just wanted to confirm the option of thawing as it was being discussed.

I had a free flow today. Water temp about 39 (fresh in quarry). Happened at about 40 feet during initial decent. I may have bumped the purge on octo, not sure. Put octo in my mouth- thought that at least I could use some of the air I was losing. At this point, with free flowing octo in my mouth, primary decided to join the party. Not enough air left for BC! Whole event took maybe 1-2 minutes, tank from 3000 to 800psi by the time I had it on surface and shut down. Really hammers some other points home. What if I had been at 100 ft and alone? I was effectivly alone this time because we were decending as a group and I was last down. Lucky for me this happened at 40ft. What if I had been in an overhead environment without proper equipment and training? This also reinforces the point of being properly weighted- I had to swim myself up when BC couldn't do the job.

Great suggestions above.
Make sure reg was in good working condition before dive. It could have been the cold but it could also have been misadjusted regulator.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom