Free flowing reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

decompression

Instructor...seriously...
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I'm just looking for guidance with regards to the instruction of the free flowing reg, it was shown to me as follows; remove reg completely from mouth, open the mouth piece with both thumbs while depressing the purge, move reg back towards the mouth and sip carefully, repeat this process. My concern is that in a real emergency this occupies both hands and makes a controlled acent very difficult. I am familiar with the " keep the reg in the mouth, allow excess gas to expell by not forming a complete seal and tilt the head method. Thanks for the clarification.

The way I was taught and learned in the PADI manual was totally different, at least from what you described and what I understood. First of all, if the reg is already free flowing, there is no need to depress the purge. If you are in a controlled setting teaching the free flow, just take the reg out with your right hand and depress the purge with that hand. Put the corner of the reg in the right corner of your mouth so that the air from the reg is entering your mouth. Tilt your head to the right a bit. The rapid escape of air from the reg should be pushing all the water out of your mouth. Gently take small breaths to make sure there's no water in your mouth. Left hand points to the surface and ascent you go.

Just don't close your mouth over the reg as it may blow out of your mouth due to the pressure. That's about the gist of it. I hope you can understand my explanation as I'm not the best at explaining things. Again, this is how I was taught and what I remember in the manual.

Last edited:
That is the padi way, which I've been teaching for years, what I observed was from and SDI IT teaching it to a class, really just wondering if that is the SDI standard.

Thanks, Dennis. I will discuss the merits and draw backs of this technique with the person that demo'd it.

Yea lol sorry. I read after I had submitted the post that you were looking for the SDI way :fail: Guess I jumped the gun on that one.

The way I was instructed by an SDI IT was to tilt your head to the right, keeping the reg in your mouth and just relax the left side/cheek. The free flowing air will be able to escape the left side and you can breathe or sip the air that is needed.

Back
Top Bottom