Free online marine biology class????????????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leave no child behind? It seems public education is a disaster in much of California and Oregon. As a former classroom teacher, I am appalled but not surprised. There is little incentive for most good teachers to remain in the business these days. I left school teaching for a career in the private sector where I earned twice as much for 50-70% of the work load.

Dr. Bill

For your home schooler, and Marine Bio, go to the SEAS/Ridge program website at http://www.ridge2000.org/seas/overview.php. It is pretty interesting research on Hydrothermal vents. the research vessel,, Atlantis, from WHOI, will be conducting experiments, many student designed, and posting pictures, video and data online for students to use. Go on as a teacher to get the HUGE amount of teaching guides to correlate. This program has been recognized by NSTA ( Nationl Science Teachers Assoc.) as being exceptional.

I teach at an online, independent study high school in So. Cal. Even though there are state standards for every grade level, adn WAY too much testing, parents here do the home schooling thing to keep their students away from *yucky* situations.

Keep it up, there aren't enough parents that give a rat's a** about their child and education.

Donnie - Hang in there...it's tough. I thought we were the only ones facing that. I had to do home school for my two step sons for three years, living in a trailer, no phone, no computer and working seven days a week. It was fun :11: But we got into it and the boys did really well.

Now the youngest is back in public school and has the writing, spelling, vocabulary and grammar of a Pre-schooler. This is fine according to the school system.

Last year I saw one of his papers that was homework. He had done four out of the 25 problems, scrawled illegible answers to two of them and gotten another incorrect. On top of the paper was the note "Good job! :)" AND a frickin' gold star!!

It was the last straw for me and we hired a tutor. Now he's with his mom again and clearly there is no tutor involved. It is clear that the school system here is in trouble and it looks like the same trouble is visiting closer to "home" (I am from US).

Kudos to you for taking on this responsibility...if more parents did then the schools would have to be better.

alcina:
Last year I saw one of his papers that was homework. He had done four out of the 25 problems, scrawled illegible answers to two of them and gotten another incorrect. On top of the paper was the note "Good job! :)" AND a frickin' gold star!!
Ha ha, gotta love that teacher!

Scubalaurel, & alcina,

Thank you for the link and the positive feed back! Things are working out much better than I ever thought with my son. His whole attitude has changed, now that he is away from a "Yucky" situation, known as our public school. :dazzler1: Things are really looking up around here! :eyebrow:

Thanks again!

Donnie

I've managed to track down quite a few really good marine biology/marine focused courses which I've put together in a list. Perfect for divers wanting to learn more about their environment.

I wanted to share it for anyone stumbling across this thread looking for ideas, as I did on my search for free marine biology courses..... Have you always dreamed of being a marine biologist? - The Ordinary Adventurer

Reactions: drl

Back
Top Bottom