• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Free Scuba Manuals & More

Discussion in 'Apps, Book and Media Reviews' started by Tom32091, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Pressurehead

Pressurehead Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Sorry, double up. edit

2. MrVegas

MrVegas Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 100 - 199

Interesting -- have they been updated? I think it says 63 minutes on page 493 (Table 9-7) here:

https://www.navsea.navy.mil/Portals...ING MANUAL_REV7.pdf?ver=2017-01-11-102354-393

Anyway, I assume that tables are put together based on different algorithms and different assumptions about conservatism if repetitive dive are being done. Just found it interesting that you could get a 10-13 minute different even on a 60 foot dive.

АлександрД likes this.
  3. Jake 10

Jake 10 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Tom
    Thank you for sharing

4. Bob DBF

Bob DBF Solo Diver

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    One of the assumptions is that Navy dives are work dive, and normally only one will be done by a diver in a day. They have a team that supports the diver and if another dive has to be made, the next diver in rotation will be called up for the dive. In actuality, if the job can't be done quickly, they will opt to use a surface supplied rig. They are not recreational divers.

The Navy tables have been adjusted by the NEDU, from its inception, to reflect the findings from all the dive logs and reports made on every dive that US Navy divers have made, and their ongoing research.

Akimbo likes this.
  5. Pressurehead

To quote: Marcus Knight (aka “The Scuba Monkey”) worth a read: Training Fundamentals: Are Dive Tables Obsolete? • Scuba Diver Life

"Dive computers should never replace a diver’s brain. Use your computer as an additional layer of planning and safety alongside other means; not as a replacement for sound judgment, good planning and reasonable conservatism.

If you haven’t used your dive table in a while, take a look at it. Familiarize yourself with it. Even if you don’t use it regularly, knowing the theory behind its creation is important. One day it may even keep you from aborting or missing a dive."
    Well said mate.:clearmask:

6. АлександрД

АлександрД Manta Ray

7. Pressurehead

АлександрД likes this.
  8. Seaweed Doc

Seaweed Doc MSDT ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I suspect these have been updated. I learned on Navy tables in 1985. Sixty at sixty was drilled into us. However, ascent rate was 60 fpm, and the newer table you link to shows ascent at 30 fpm. Maybe a slower ascent buys you more bottom time?

9. MrVegas

MrVegas Nassau Grouper

That's pretty impressive. I know this has been discussed a little bit on other threads, but do you know why the Navy Tables don't have 10 foot deco stops, but spend the time at 20 feet? (My dive computer -- according the manual -- seems to want your last and longest stop to be at 10 feet. I've never been beyond NDL, but just find this interesting.)

By the way -- love that picture of the Deco Brain.

10. Bob DBF

Bob DBF Solo Diver

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    The only answer I could guess is that the found that there was little difference in deco between 10' and 20' feet, and it is easier to hold the 20' stop, and that is a guess.

Maybe @Akimbo could shed some light on this question.

dead dog likes this.