Free Speech and Moderation: from Filmmaker Rob Stewart dies off Alligator Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might just out of spite and petty disregard for common courtesy.....
We'll talk about you behind your back if you do.

Why not hit the report button and ask that it be moved back privately rather than making it a public deal? That and by the time he had posted his complaint, they had found their way back to the original thread. Patience is a virtue few seem to have time for.

To reiterate: if you believe someone's post violates the ToS: report it. Don't publicly denounce the offence, but rather, let the mods do their job. In addition, if you feel that your post has been inadvertently been included in a mass move: report it. We all make mistakes and would rather handle this privately than have them decried publicly. Finally, if you disagree with the moderation or have questions in a thread and feel the need to discuss it: take it to Site Support. It doesn't belong in the thread.

Point taken and understood!

But if I may, can I ask you a somewhat rhetorical question please?

If I sent you, or any mod / site support a PM question (not just a user, but a mod/site support) off-forum and you didn't answer say within between 24 to 48 hours, would you think that was being patient enough before sending a follow up to you/him asking if he got it / was going to reply?

This has not happened here (to me), but just wondering what your interpretation, as describe in my above scenarios is / would be? That is, this a genuine question - not a 'come on' - re what a mod would perceive in the instance described as 'patient'; but no need for a long winded reply or time consuming explanation by an means.

TIA

If I sent you, or any mod / site support a PM question (not just a user, but a mod/site support) off-forum and you didn't answer say within between 24 to 48 hours, would you think that was being patient enough before sending a follow up to you/him asking if he got it / was going to reply?
I am not sure I understand the point of your question, but hopefully you will find an answer in what follows.

Mods are not employees of ScubaBoard. We are not paid to do it. We do not have regular hours. We are just volunteers with lives of our own and varying degrees of time in which to respond. Sometimes we have oodles of time and are online a lot; sometimes we have no time at all. For example, in two days my wife and I will be off on a week-long vacation. I will have time to be online from time to time, but I don't expect to put in a lot of time online, and I would not be surprised if I do not see SB for several days. If you were to write to me privately, I might not know for a while. I will get an email notification of the PM, but it still might be a while before I am online with a chance to respond. It would be perfectly reasonable for you to send a second message asking if I got the first if you thought a normally reasonable about of time had passed for my response. I would not be at all concerned about your sending me that second message.

This has not happened here (to me), but just wondering what your interpretation, as describe in my above scenarios is / would be? That is, this a genuine question - not a 'come on' - re what a mod would perceive in the instance described as 'patient'; but no need for a long winded reply or time consuming explanation by an means.

TIA
We will see your post almost immediately. If your request is straightforward (frank called me a poopyhead) it can be dealt with immediately with no discussion. If, however, you present us with an issue one of us doesn't feel we have the expertise to handle on our own, or we need consensus from the group, we may delay until more of us can chime in. Let's say a deep stops discussion. Lots of folks still like deep stops. Just lots of folks find nothing wrong with solo or deep diving on air. Let's say someone is skirting the ToS with your statement regarding deep stops. As long as you aren't advocating something downright dangerous (set your gradient factor to 95/95, or dive 1000 feet on air, it may be let go. If however, you encourage ow students dive in caves, you will have your birthday taken away, as it were.

I am not qualified to discuss Cave diving, except to say that I think all Cave divers are nut jobs. I wouldn't call any specific cave diver a nut job, that goes against the ToS, and I would be moderated. But because my opinion is that all Cave divers are nut jobs, it will likely fly.

I think all Cave divers are nut jobs. I wouldn't call any specific cave diver a nut job, that goes against the ToS, and I would be moderated. But because my opinion is that all Cave divers are nut jobs, it will likely fly.

Hmmm...where IS that ban button.....

Hmmm...where IS that ban button.....

We cannot ban Wookie.

He is a valuable contributor to our forums.

I dive to be free and weightless, not confined and restricted..

After 40+ years of diving I have no desire to be "Cave" or "Tech".

I just want to sink beneath the waves and enjoy the other 70% of our water planet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom