Freedive to SCUBA ratio

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FreeFloat:
What?? Care to expand on that?
well.. last year I went scuba maybe 4 or so times. This year not once. What can I say.. I've been to cozumel as well as other haunts in mexico and belize many times and have yet to ever scuba there, but yet I've been to several "don't go beyond this point unless you're cave certified" signs and have been to the bottom of many of the popular reefs. So.. I guess scuba diving has really gone the way of the dinosaur for me.

badmojo:
I'm going to freedive Blue Springs this weekend, would love to hear some more babbling..

My freedive to scuba ratio has been about 2:1 in favor of freediving as where I used to live (the west coast of Canada) it was easy to find a freedive buddy. However, here in Florida it seems harder to find folks to hook up with to freedive, and very easy to find scuba divers...

What day & what time?

Babbling (continued): I usually "cheat" and use the edges of the limestone ledges to pull myself down when I freedive this spring. You can use this technique to easily drop down to 60' where the passage turns, then turn & kick for the surface. Looking up from there, the logs at 15' seem like a long way away. However, when you factor in the outward flow, the return trip is short.

scubafool:
How many freedives do you do for every SCUBA dive? Or, if you are like me, how many SCUBA dives do you do for every freedive?
According to my log, during the past four years it's been 4.4 freedive sessions for every scuba dive. (Of course each freedive session consists of many descents, so if you count those as "freedives" the number gets really big.)

scubafool:
If you want depth, the place to go is Blue Springs.
That's a fun dive -- I visited it a year and a half ago on a business trip to the Cocoa Beach area. A little short on aquatic life, though I did shadow a turtle that was hanging around the area of the boil.

since I'm pretty new to scuba I guess my ratio is highly in favor of freediving - but I still like to go about once or twice each week. My "goal" is to do 2 - 4 scuba and 1-2 freedives per week.

Mostly it's because I have friends and buddies in both camps - so this way I get to spend time with all of them.

Tim

FreeFloat:
That complaint, the lack of buddies, seems to be a common one.

When I lived in Kingston I believe I was the only practicing freediver in that city. Here in Toronto there's a small bunch of us that get together, but still, in a city of 2-point-something million there's still less than a dozen of us...... :11:

I was shocked when I first made some inquiries about freediving here in Ottawa that there is a relatively large freediving community here. I'm hoping to do lots of freediving next year, assuming my ears let me. :wink:

As for ratio of scuba to freediving....that's easy, I'm 100% a freediver. :D

Back
Top Bottom