• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Freedive to SCUBA ratio

Discussion in 'Snorkeling / Freediving' started by scubafool, Oct 20, 2004.

1. FreeFloat

FreeFloat Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    What?? Care to expand on that?

2. holdingmybreath

holdingmybreath Barracuda

well.. last year I went scuba maybe 4 or so times. This year not once. What can I say.. I've been to cozumel as well as other haunts in mexico and belize many times and have yet to ever scuba there, but yet I've been to several "don't go beyond this point unless you're cave certified" signs and have been to the bottom of many of the popular reefs. So.. I guess scuba diving has really gone the way of the dinosaur for me.

3. scubafool

scubafool Solo Diver

What day & what time?

Babbling (continued): I usually "cheat" and use the edges of the limestone ledges to pull myself down when I freedive this spring. You can use this technique to easily drop down to 60' where the passage turns, then turn & kick for the surface. Looking up from there, the logs at 15' seem like a long way away. However, when you factor in the outward flow, the return trip is short.

4. Frank O

Frank O SoCal DIR

According to my log, during the past four years it's been 4.4 freedive sessions for every scuba dive. (Of course each freedive session consists of many descents, so if you count those as "freedives" the number gets really big.)

That's a fun dive -- I visited it a year and a half ago on a business trip to the Cocoa Beach area. A little short on aquatic life, though I did shadow a turtle that was hanging around the area of the boil.

5. kidspot

kidspot Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    since I'm pretty new to scuba I guess my ratio is highly in favor of freediving - but I still like to go about once or twice each week. My "goal" is to do 2 - 4 scuba and 1-2 freedives per week.

Mostly it's because I have friends and buddies in both camps - so this way I get to spend time with all of them.

Tim

6. bolts

bolts Angel Fish

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    I was shocked when I first made some inquiries about freediving here in Ottawa that there is a relatively large freediving community here. I'm hoping to do lots of freediving next year, assuming my ears let me. :wink:

As for ratio of scuba to freediving....that's easy, I'm 100% a freediver. :D

7. Bindlestitch

Bindlestitch Guest

Same here. I've never dove on scuba.

8. smile47

smile47 Angel Fish

# of Dives:
    years of scuba,now just freediving spearfishing.I think its a natural way of going.