Freediving w/ Snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chad,

That explains it--I started scuba in 1959, the year of the snorkel! I had been using snorkels before that, in the YMCA camps, lakes, etc., but that was when I started scuba diving. We had really terrible snorkels then too, with the little balls in the tops (I cut those "C" snorkels off and made them into "J" snorkels).

I was in the water yesterday with three different snorkel types, and enjoyed them too.

I think the difference here is that the free divers who are not using snorkels are the ones who are using today's science to ensure better safety from SWB, probably diving deep and staying down long. I can see that as a very good option in those circumstances, especially if there is a surface support (float, boat, etc.).

Where those circumstances are not met, where someone is breathhold diving in a river, in circumstances where they would want to continue to see underwater, and where there is no surface float, I feel snorkels still have a place. That's not to say that I wouldn't spit them out if the breathhold dive became extended, or circumstances indicated some trouble potentially from SWB, and that's where I'd probably take my weight belt off and hold it too (we dive wet suits up here in the Pacific Northwest). That way, if I were to black out, the weights are gone, and I would have no snorkel in my mouth.

For Scubadive0410, the question was about keeping water out of the snorkel. Today I confirmed that I keep a small air pocket in the snorkel so that water doesn't enter my mouth during the dive.

SeaRat

"Blub Blub Blub"? I've never heard any noise coming from my very simple large bore snorkel when submerging, none at all, never. Even if there was some noise as it filled, it would be instantaneous, and insignificant. It may be that I'm not understanding the process, but it seems to me that replacing the snorkel in your mouth as you surface requires the use of your hand, unless the mouthpiece is sitting right in front of your mouth, in which case it might as well be in your mouth. The possibility of SWB is the only reason mentioned for freediving without a snorkel, and that is a very remote possibility while doing non-extreme, relaxed snorkeling.
I got my first snorkel in the mid-50s, when I was about 9 yrs old. It was made in Italy, long, with a small diameter, but with no "ball". Before that, I'd skindived with just a mask and fins. When I was really young, pre-school age, I used only goggles. My mother was a competitive swimmer, and I was lucky to grow up in the water, swimming reasonably well as a toddler. When I first used a snorkel I was enthralled. I thought they were wonderful. I still do.

I was in the water (a nice, deep pool) again today, and skin dived both with and without a snorkel. I did note a bit better ventilation as I surfaced, but that was pretty minor for what I was doing (45 second dives to 18 feet). I did not like having to lift my head above the surface to breath. My style of diving is to surface and continue watching underwater, and I can only do that with a snorkel. I have several different types, and did not notice much difference when I was clearing them via displacement as I surfaced.

SeaRat

For my part, i've been practicing the techniques in pools. All of them seem to work pretty well. I think my original idea was to prevent SWB by just replacing the snorkel in my mouth when I surface to clear it of water. My dives are simple recreation (20-25 ft dives).

I don't think SWB is affected in any way by the snorkel's position. I am under the impression that if SWB does happen, having a snorkel in your mouth makes it more likely that you will inhale water while unconscious. SWB happens or does not happen based on physiological factors, reflecting blood gas chemistry. Keeping the snorkel out of your mouth will not prevent SWB. Shallow water blackout usually happens, as the name suggests, as one approaches the surface after a deep breath hold dive.

Kirk Krack of Performance Freediving International stated in July at the Blue Wild Spearfishing Seminar that:

90% of all black outs occur after a diver reaches the surface and exhales.
9% of the remaining black outs occur within 15' of reaching the surface.

The most recent blackout death by an experienced freediver occured in just 50 feet of water in California. Divers can black out from extended time at any depth.

Chad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom