Freediving while pregnant?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Kelly,Then make sure she doesn't find out that well-known freediver Maria-Teresa Solomons routinely dove while pregnant. On one occasion, she went >50-meters. Ended up with a perfectly healthy baby. It's an individual decision.

I'm not sure that it actually is an individual decision, since being pregnant is the process of producing a "new" individual who is not consulted in this matter.

Also, one person to reportedly pulled this off with no apparent damage to the child doesn't actually qualify as evidence in my book.

flots.

Hi flots,

I'm not sure that it actually is an individual decision, since being pregnant is the process of producing a "new" individual who is not consulted in this matter..

And just how would that individual be consulted? Should the fetus be consulted about the mother driving during pregnancy, a far more risky activity?

Also, one person to reportedly pulled this off with no apparent damage to the child doesn't actually qualify as evidence in my book.flots.

I couldn't agree more & did not put it forth as "evidence." Cleary, it's a "case study" of sorts of one.

Regards,

DocVikingo

And just how would that individual be consulted? Should the fetus be consulted about the mother driving during pregnancy, a far more risky activity?

It's impossible to compare the risk of driving vs freediving while pregnant, since there are millions (billions?) of passenger miles driven by pregnant women, and so far, we only know of one woman who went freediving while pregnant.

Since fetuses can't talk, you need to assume that they would not request developmental conditions that might cause damage.

flots.

It's impossible to compare the risk of driving vs freediving while pregnant, since there are millions (billions?) of passenger miles driven by pregnant women, and so far, we only know of one woman who went freediving while pregnant.

What you say regarding freediving simply is not true and to me indicates frank torpor in pursuing both science and meaningful debate here.

Since you made this assertion, the ball of support is in your court. But, I'll briefly note that the ama divers of Japan, who've been diving for shellfish off the coast of Japan at depths of 10'-60' for ~1,500 years, routinely freedive throughout pregnancy, e.g., http://www.healthline.com/health-blogs/fitness-fixer/japanese-ama-divers-cold-clothing-and-children, and guess what? --> [abstract] PREGNANCY AND BREATH-HOLD AMA DIVERS. ("There is no obvious ill effect of breath-hold diving on pregnancy as far as ama divers are concerned.")

Additionally, you somehow have omitted mention of the relevant numbers we have on SCUBA while pregnant, a recreation that for numerous theoretical reasons poses far greater physiological risk to the developing fetus than does freediving. And, while I do not recommend SCUBA while pregnant out of prudence, I must say that I do not find the research to date unduly worrisome. For example, the most recent comprehensive article on the topic, http://ddrc.info/research/docs/mstld_jog_2006.pdf, in part states: “However, in our data there was no apparent association between deep dives and fetal abnormalities, and many women in this study were diving across all categories of depths and reported no problems with the pregnancy or the outcome

In closing, in support of the individual decision position, I’ll point out that the above cited research from the prestigious Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, concludes: “It is unlikely that the effect of scuba diving on the unborn human fetus will be established.”

Since fetuses can't talk, you need to assume that they would not request developmental conditions that might cause damage.

You know what they say about assuming, don't you, flots? ; )

Regards,

DocVikingo

---------- Post added May 2nd, 2012 at 05:36 AM ----------

If Maria-Teresa Solomons jumped off a bridge... fetus.DDM

Do you really find this remark meaningful in the pursuit of the best medical approximation of the truth in this debate over a rather serious issue?

...would it be prudent for a pregnant woman to subject her developing fetus to the hypoxia and hypercapnia encountered in extreme/competitive free diving?

Perhaps I've missed something here, but where is it stated that the diver being inquired about intends to engage in extreme/competitive freediving?

Regards,

DocV

Do you really find this remark meaningful in the pursuit of the best medical approximation of the truth in this debate over a rather serious issue?

No more so than making or justifying recommendations based on the actions of one individual. That's why I put "but seriously" afterwards.

Perhaps I've missed something here, but where is it stated that the diver being inquired about intends to engage in extreme/competitive freediving?

It's not, but you mentioned Ms. Solomons as an example so I thought the scope of the thread had expanded some. The OP didn't really specify depth or degree of free diving other than mentioning "even to 2 ATA".

Best,
DDM

What you say regarding freediving simply is not true and to me indicates frank torpor in pursuing both science and meaningful debate here.

Since you made this assertion, the ball of support is in your court. But, I'll briefly note that the ama divers of Japan, who've been diving for shellfish off the coast of Japan at depths of 10'-60' for ~1,500 years, routinely freedive throughout pregnancy, e.g., http://www.healthline.com/health-blogs/fitness-fixer/japanese-ama-divers-cold-clothing-and-children, and guess what? --> [abstract] PREGNANCY AND BREATH-HOLD AMA DIVERS. ("There is no obvious ill effect of breath-hold diving on pregnancy as far as ama divers are concerned.")

This appears to be the recollections of old women of their diving careers during "the war" (WW-II?). I'm not sure it qualifies as evidence of anything in particular.

In closing, in support of the individual decision position, I’ll point out that the above cited research from the prestigious Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, concludes: “It is unlikely that the effect of scuba diving on the unborn human fetus will be established.”
(bold is mine)

This too, provides little evidence either for or against.

I make no pretense of being an expert in fetal development, however I do have a pretty good handle on risk in general.

Travel carries risk, however if I don't travel, I can't get to work, which means that shortly, I'll be living on the street starving to death, which is generally acknowledged as "bad".

Diving (free or SCUBA) is absolutely 100% optional and exists only to amuse the participant. Nobody has any hard evidence for it's effects on the fetus, so I don't see any problem with avoiding it for a little while.

flots.

This appears to be the recollections of old women of their diving careers during "the war" (WW-II?). I'm not sure it qualifies as evidence of anything in particular.flots.
Hey flots, Well I gotta agree we could benefit from much better ; ) Still, it outright discredits your assertion "..we only know of one woman who went freediving while pregnant."In any event, for the sake of debate, why don't you adduce published research evidence, of any provenance or quality, that supports your take on freediving during pregnancy?Thanks,DocV

Hey flots, Well I gotta agree we could benefit from much better ; ) Still, it outright discredits your assertion "..we only know of one woman who went freediving while pregnant."In any event, for the sake of debate, why don't you adduce published research evidence, of any provenance or quality, that supports your take on freediving during pregnancy?Thanks,DocV

My take is that it's a voluntary recreational activity with an unknown risk level and potentially permanent effect for what will probably become a new person. I would therefore recommend avoiding it.

A mentally competent adult can do whatever they want, to themselves. This, however has the potential to change someone else's life, which IMO is irresponsible and quite a different story.

flots.

Hey flots,Then it would appear that you are unable to "adduce published research evidence, of any provenance or quality, that supports your take on freediving during pregnancy and are just going to opine that you "commend avoiding" freediving while pregnant. Is that correct?My, but doesn't that make for fine, fact-supported debate?While I'll be the first to admit that the evidence I have adduced leaves a lot to be desired, at least I've buttressed my position with some findings published in recognized medical journals that go beyond the speculation, conjecture and theorizing put forth by you (and DDM).Okay, then, I rest my argument.Peace,DocV

Hey flots,Then it would appear that you are unable to "adduce published research evidence, of any provenance or quality, that supports your take on freediving during pregnancy and are just going to opine that you "commend avoiding" freediving while pregnant. Is that correct?My, but doesn't that make for fine, fact-supported debate?While I'll be the first to admit that the evidence I have adduced leaves a lot to be desired, at least I've buttressed my position with some findings published in recognized medical journals that go beyond the speculation, conjecture and theorizing put forth by you (and DDM).Okay, then, I rest my argument.Peace,DocV

I was pretty clear here.

Nothing else is necessary.

flots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom