Freedom Plate Divers Roll Call: show us your rig!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m over it.
Rig it however you want and which way works best for you.
I might even try the outside method just to make sure I’m not missing out on something good.

I originally routed the upper webbing over the top of the plate same as you would do with a standard rectangular plate. I did this to influence the plate to sit just a bit closer to my torso when marching around the shores of Bonaire. However, I changed it to the recommended configuration to fit in with the cool kids when making some hardware changes to my harness last year. Honestly I think the actual results of the routing are negligible. As you intended, the plate naturally nests into the contours of your back regardless.

32A8A3B5-9C04-4232-87C1-14B9A4DDD3F2.jpeg

Ahh, yes. I overlooked that... just added one to my DGX cart, a 1.5'' Sewn Loop Strap...

That should be ok, or am I making a mistake between the 2'' one or a 'slide release' version?

Depends on what you're going to do.

I think the recommendation was to go 2" sewn if you plan to use DPV

I went with a DGX 1.5" 'slide release' version on mine so I could keep one end on the left waist belt and have the quick disconnect when doffing/donning the rig and not have to slide the crotch strap off the waist belt each time.

Just a matter of preference for the sewn vs slide release and a matter of utility if you plan to use a DPV.

I believe with the new wider slots on the VDH wing, the upper set of holes can be used to secure the wing to the plate. This will move the wing down which will allow the tank to drop down for better positioning of a double hose.
I have a VDH 18 with shorter original version slots and I set the slots in the plate to line up with the slots in the wing when the wing was moved up to the upper position. This is better IMO for standard single hose setup.
I really wasn’t too concerned about designing the plate around a double hose at the time because VDH had their own plate for DH regs, so I just figured that's what everyone used anyway.
But if you guys are making the FP work for double hoses that’s great!

But if you guys are making the FP work for double hoses that’s great!
Yes Sir,
Here are a couple of pictures of my FP/VDH 18lb wing/Kraken.
FP VDH Wing Kraken.jpg

FP VDH Wing Kraken left side.jpg

Just took my Oxycheq Extreme 18# and moved it down to use the upper holes and it does fit. Had to stretch the center panel to get the lower bolt in (it still is slightly tipped), but got both bolts in. CAM band slots lined up OK for both wing and plate, top and bottom.

Actually, I have been diving my early SS “travel” plate with only a single book screw at the top for years since the plate is too short for 2 holes/bolts. I had to drill my own hole since Eric did not put a hole in it originally. Wing position is the same as with the new Al plate mounted using top holes and I have used it for DH diving since I got it (DA and PRAM).

Back
Top Bottom