Freedom Plate Divers Roll Call: show us your rig!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I received my VDH 18# wing today. I took some pictures of my rig with the VDH 35# and then the 18. It's so nice and tiny!! :D

2019-05-04 14.06.57.jpg

VDH 35:
2019-05-04 14.02.51.jpg

VDH 18:
2019-05-04 14.14.18.jpg

VDH 18:
2019-05-04 14.13.24.jpg

Also, while I was working on it, I rigged some weight pockets like I was talking about the other day. On the back of the plate.

The weight pockets are the DGX ones that are $10 each and will hold up to a 4# weight. I really like them because they are not very big, so using a 1 or 2 # weight in it doesn't let it get all floppy. And, the closure is only velcro, but it's a big, strong patch of velcro, so I'm not worried about losing a weight by accident.

The back side of each pocket has 2 loops of webbing sewn on, to let you hang it on a tank strap or other 2" webbing. I put the 2" webbing of my harness through just 1 of those loops on each of the pockets. It would be nice to have them attached via both of the loops, but the part of the webbing that is exposed on the back side of the plate just isn't long enough for that.

Like this:

2019-05-04 14.47.09.jpg

2019-05-04 14.47.19.jpg

2019-05-04 14.47.31.jpg

@stuartv

How does it compare with your Hog 23?

How does it compare with your Hog 23?
....not to butt in, but I'm going to anyway :)...I sold my HOG 23 mainly because it had a center positioned corrugated hose, which is not very compatible with a double hose regulator. However, the VDH & Oxycheq & Halcyon wings also feel like they are better made than the HOG. Additionally, the VDH and Oxycheq wings have standard/replaceable elbows and dump valve assemblies where the HOG & Halcyon wings have the 'T' nuts bonded to the bladder. One would be hard pressed to remove/repair the bonded assemblies or the bladder whereas the wings with easily removable hardware would be a snap to repair.

....not to butt in, but I'm going to anyway :)...I sold my HOG 23 mainly because it had a center positioned corrugated hose, which is not very compatible with a double hose regulator. However, the VDH & Oxycheq & Halcyon wings also feel like they are better made than the HOG. Additionally, the VDH and Oxycheq wings have standard/replaceable elbows and dump valve assemblies where the HOG & Halcyon wings have the 'T' nuts bonded to the bladder. One would be hard pressed to remove/repair the bonded assemblies or the bladder whereas the wings with easily removable hardware would be a snap to repair.

Your comments are always welcome. I was thinking more about the shape of the wing. The HOG 23 wing looks shorter and wider than a narrow wing such as the Oxycheq, DSS, Mares, or VDH.

I do find your comments on the bladder useful. The Halcyon aside, it seems that the imported wings like to use the bonded fittings to the bladder. I never disassembled a Halcyon but I do like their fabric bladder material over the urethane used in other products. HOG uses a similar material, at least in their older 32 lb. product. I wonder if that requires bonded fittings. My Oxycheq wings are old and use a urethane material, I am not sure if Patrick updated the product. DSS and Mares also use urethane. I do not know what VHD uses.

I do have a HOG 32 wing (selling it on eBay) which at the time I bought it was supposedly made in USA (no markings on it). It seems as well made as most of other wings I have seen.

Your comments are always welcome. I was thinking more about the shape of the wing. The HOG 23 wing looks shorter and wider than a narrow wing such as the Oxycheq, DSS, Mares, or VDH.

I do find your comments on the bladder useful. The Halcyon aside, it seems that the imported wings like to use the bonded fittings to the bladder. I never disassembled a Halcyon but I do like their fabric bladder material over the urethane used in other products. HOG uses a similar material, at least in their older 32 lb. product. I wonder if that requires bonded fittings. My Oxycheq wings are old and use a urethane material, I am not sure if Patrick updated the product. DSS and Mares also use urethane. I do not know what VHD uses.

I do have a HOG 32 wing (selling it on eBay) which at the time I bought it was supposedly made in USA (no markings on it). It seems as well made as most of other wings I have seen.
VDH uses the tougher fabric bladder.
My older Oxycheq Mach V uses a urethane bladder and I have fixed pinch flats before on it. Not a problem since the bladder was accessible. I just used a peel and stick patch for urethane from West Marine.
The new fabric bladders are thin but resist pinch flats really well. I’m sure anything could be pinched but with these you’d really have to work at it.

Not a great pic but my arms are only so long. This is the Kraked Kraken on a FP with the rail, it sits pretty close to my back, i can wear it lower but I'm leg heavy and that tosses my trim out the window. 80 minutes and everything worked great.
DSCI9301.jpeg

I received my VDH 18# wing today. I took some pictures of my rig with the VDH 35# and then the 18. It's so nice and tiny!! :D

View attachment 517751

That is a bigger difference than VDH's pictures. Now I am really itching to build an ultra light travel rig.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom