Freedom Plate Divers Roll Call: show us your rig!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll update with some photos of my rerigged FP a little later, but I wanted to inform everybody about an option that I'm trying out on the aluminum block's edging where it contacts the tanks. I'm using a clear, waterproof flex tape that I bought on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B6F5PJ7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It works great. It's basically peel and stick, so I cleaned the surface and made sure it was dry before applying. I used a new razor blade in my razor knife with a metal straight edge on flat tile surface to cut. Installation was clean and easy with no bubbles. Installed from inside of bracket to outside. Also, don't forget that WD-40 is your friend when it comes to glue removal. It's much better than alcohol.

This should also work on the rails, too if you don't have the tubing on them or want something thinner.

Attachments

• 20190831_175228_resized.jpg
    20190831_175228_resized.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 263
  • 20190831_175231_resized.jpg
    20190831_175231_resized.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 261
  • 20190831_175238_resized.jpg
    20190831_175238_resized.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 264
  • 20190831_175246_resized.jpg
    20190831_175246_resized.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 275
Dived my new aluminum Contour Plate for the first time a couple of weeks ago in Little Cayman. It exceeded all expectations and it weighs next to nothing. Thanks @Eric Sedletzky! I rigged it with a comfort harness like my stainless Freedom Plate and a VDH Argonaut 18# wing.

I didn’t include the optional rails for the plate out of fear it may delay delivery, so to lift and angle the tank I installed a “Big H” wedge. Husqvarna that is. I planned on shaping an angled standoff from a block of delrin (plastic), but stumbled upon an old tree wedge in my tool box and had an epiphany. So I ordered an eight inch Husqvarna wedge, drilled a few counterbored holes and by filing that bastard, errrr, using a bastard file I cut a couple of two inch wide notches for the cam bands to clear. The wedge supports the tank and integrated STA rods in the wing for a very stable assembly.

View attachment 536153
With a south Florida dive trip coming up this December I decided to finally rig my aluminum Freedom plate. With steel tanks and pony plus my steel plate I am alway overweighted diving Florida. Eric had already trimmed and fitted a wedge similar to his above.

My new aluminum plate still needs adjustment to the harness but all the components are in place and weighs in at 2 lbs 14 oz. With the VDH 18 and cambands its at 5 lbs 11 oz. With the Oxycheq 30 the weight goes to 7 lbs 2 oz

With the Oxycheq 30 the weight goes to 7 lbs 2 oz
You don't think you'll need the thirty, do you? At least, not for warm water.

Great rig!

You don't think you'll need the thirty, do you? At least, not for warm water.

Great rig!
I might get by with the 18 but I wouldn’t be comfortable with it. Even with the aluminum plate its still a heavy rig with the steel 100 and 19 cf pony, or 30 cf O2 bottle. Then add the lobster gear...

And I have been known to spend quite a bit of time floating, waiting for pickup.

Finally got around to gathering up all my stuff for my first BP/W and it all started with #451 from @Eric Sedletzky. I’ll spend the next couple of days putting it together and put up a after photo.
9F27D8F1-5B8B-4C98-8169-80D1D6A7AE29.jpeg

Freedom plates are a work of art. Can’t wait to get my hands on the stainless one I ordered.

Oh, look! It seems to be all broken; just lying there in pieces.
If you'll send it to me, I'll see if I can't try and put it back together for you.

Oh, look! It seems to be all broken; just lying there in pieces.
If you'll send it to me, I'll see if I can't try and put it back together for you.
Thanks for the help:) but i am sure I’ll be able to struggle thru it... hopefully.

Does anyone have pictures of the lightweight stainless steel version of the Freedom Contour Plate? @Eric Sedletzky made a limited quantity of these plates out of 14 gauge (.0747) and 16 gauge (.0598). I may be interested in this version if more become available. Thanks!

Does anyone have pictures of the lightweight stainless steel version of the Freedom Contour Plate? @Eric Sedletzky made a limited quantity of these plates out of 14 gauge (.0747) and 16 gauge (.0598). I may be interested in this version if more become available. Thanks!
It looks identical in shape to the standard thickness .125 plates, just thinner.
I may or may not make more, don’t know yet. I haven’t received any feedback either way to gauge the popularity.
I think they’re better than aluminum since the weight of the plate is at least usable and goes less neutral in the water.

It looks identical in shape to the standard thickness .125 plates, just thinner.
I may or may not make more, don’t know yet. I haven’t received any feedback either way to gauge the popularity.
I think they’re better than aluminum since the weight of the plate is at least usable and goes less neutral in the water.
easier to shape to i'd bet.

Back
Top Bottom