Freedom Plate's Cousin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder if the OMS Soft STA would be useful with this plate. In particular, for wings that don't have any built-in roll control. They are $19 from DGX.

oms-16918004_1a.jpg

I wonder if the OMS Soft STA would be useful with this plate. In particular, for wings that don't have any built-in roll control. They are $19 from DGX.

View attachment 459454
Sounds like we are overthinking it but I was envisioning some type of rubber bumper/pad near the bottom.

Part of the appeal is lack of holes therefore no stainless bolts of any sort coming in contact with the aluminum.
Yes, please don’t overthink it.

Yes, please don’t overthink it.

Agree. The beauty is in its simplicity. Adding this part, then that, removes it from its design concept. It works great just the way it is. I am hoping Eric will forgive me for poking a couple of holes for plastic sex bolts.

So, what is the benefit of a plate like this over a standard plate with a raised backbone? Is it just that its pretty and exclusive? I'm pretty sure with this the tank would bump my coccyx every time I moved.

In addition to being lighter, it is narrower. FP = 11 inches at the widest, EZ = 9 inches at the widest. It is also a little less contoured at the waist so it lies flatter in an equipment or carry on bag.

No, not of me, but I'll enlist one of my more fit offspring.
View attachment 459439 View attachment 459440 View attachment 459441

I must be missing something. It looks like the plate is curved to follow the spine like the Freedom Plate but I don't see anything that gives the tank the ~3° offset. How does that work when the curved pack is cam-banded to the straight cylinder?

I don't see anything that gives the tank the ~3° offset. How does that work when the curved pack is cam-banded to the straight cylinder?

You guys with the large posteriors and coccyges (had to look up the plural form) are making me question my physiology. Back up to a door or wall. Doesn't your back and bottom meet the wall at the same time? .......never mind.

Anyway, the space provided by the thickness of the plate+wing is sufficient enough to remove pressure off one's bottom. (For me anyway.) Honestly, I do not remember if the tank was riding on my butt or not-if it was it caused me no issues.

The only mod I did to my wing was removing the upper roll control tubes-but I did that so I could get my DH reg can closer to my back. However, I do not feel it is necessary.
EZ Pak with straight edge.jpg

Argonaut wing with upper roll tubes removed.jpg

Last edited:
Some sort of wedge blocks that slide onto the lower band would be perfect, even on the stainless plate, they could correct the offset and stabilize the tank, probably easier to make than the rail and could work on either plate.

Back
Top Bottom