Freeflow at night dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Water_is_my_blood

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We were diving at night, visibility was 7m (22ft) and temperature 13 celsius (55 F). When were at the bottom of the lake (about 6 min) my primary regulator started to free flow. Depth was only 25m (82ft) but for some reason nitrogen narcosis was deeper than than it should be at that depth. I keep breathing from my primary regulator but failed to figure out where the bubbles were coming. I was thinking that my hose was failed/some other catastrophic failure. I looked my pressure gauge and confirmed that I was loosing gas fast. My buddy was close but he was looking to another direction. I tap his shoulder and signal to him that "I need gas". He did not see that coming and looked first his own pressure gauge thinking he was the one with problem. I was still breathing from my free flowing regulator but had still plenty of air. Maybe after 10 seconds he donate his main regulator as it was planned. Everything went OK and we started to ascend. We take slow ascend but failed to do safety stop. Questions:
1) How it was possible me to not realize it was "just" free flow my main regulator? I just keep breathing as I normally do.
2) Does limited visibility, full darkness and cold water amplify effects of nitrogen narcosis really so much?
3) Ascending; how it is possible to watch your depth from computer at night when one of your hand is occupied holding your buddy and the another used to release air from your dry suit? I can not see my depth from computer without using my light (light was at my right hand I was using it to keep holding my buddy)
4) Should you use computer with light (integrated light permanently on) with night dives? If you do not have light on your computer you always need two hands to see numbers from the screen!

For the ascending part maybe you could've grabbed your buddy firmly at his shoulder webbing so your buddy had two hands available while you just take care of your own 'problems' and your buddy could do a normal ascent with you attached?
I guess your buddy wasnt on a long hose?

He had long hose. Without visual reference it is hard to balance your ascend speed if you do not see numbers yourself. It is just water around you. I think it is not possible to leave ascending just your buddy because you need to release air from your dry suit. So you both need to see your own computer screen. It might be possible but not for me :)

Glad it turned out well.

Free flows come in different sizes. You second stage can weep constantly (small steady leak) all the way up to a steady purge (massive flow). With smaller flows its quite easy to breath off of, becoming more difficult as the flow increases. Your first 1st stage or a hose could also develop a leak. From personal experience small to medium bubbles leaking will take a long time to drain a tank and look worse than they may actually be. They can quickly get worse though and should be taken seriously.

Depth, cold, darkness, and limited visibility make narcosis easier to detect and can seem to magnify the effects.

Controlled ascents while air sharing can be very difficult difficult without training.
It's important the computer is placed where it can be seen. This is easier with a wrist mounted computer, a console can be tucked under a shoulder strap In some cases to allow it to be seen hands free. Another method is to also look at your buddies computer.

I used a Suunto Gekko for hundreds of night dives, it had a glow in the dark screen you would have to recharge often with your light. I use a backlit computer now, it's easier to read in all conditions.

We were diving at night, visibility was 7m (22ft) and temperature 13 celsius (55 F). When were at the bottom of the lake (about 6 min) my primary regulator started to free flow. Depth was only 25m (82ft) but for some reason nitrogen narcosis was deeper than than it should be at that depth. I keep breathing from my primary regulator but failed to figure out where the bubbles were coming. I was thinking that my hose was failed/some other catastrophic failure. I looked my pressure gauge and confirmed that I was loosing gas fast. My buddy was close but he was looking to another direction. I tap his shoulder and signal to him that "I need gas". He did not see that coming and looked first his own pressure gauge thinking he was the one with problem. I was still breathing from my free flowing regulator but had still plenty of air. Maybe after 10 seconds he donate his main regulator as it was planned. Everything went OK and we started to ascend. We take slow ascend but failed to do safety stop. Questions:
1) How it was possible me to not realize it was "just" free flow my main regulator? I just keep breathing as I normally do.
2) Does limited visibility, full darkness and cold water amplify effects of nitrogen narcosis really so much?
3) Ascending; how it is possible to watch your depth from computer at night when one of your hand is occupied holding your buddy and the another used to release air from your dry suit? I can not see my depth from computer without using my light (light was at my right hand I was using it to keep holding my buddy)
4) Should you use computer with light (integrated light permanently on) with night dives? If you do not have light on your computer you always need two hands to see numbers from the screen!

1 Maybe a combination of things. Taskload high because not so much experience? When you are having cold, awareness could be less. Stress, just slow down to see what is happening.

2 I don’t think narcosis was the problem.

3 Where is you divecomputer ? At your wrist it would be possible to hold the regulator or buddy with one hand and use the other hand for your light.

But more important for me is to feel my body/drysuit. Even without gauge I know if I’m ascending/descending slow/fast. You can shine with your light into the water and watch particles.

You can practice it. At the and of the dive try to ascent without visual reference. Or use a smb.

4 I never use the light of my divecomputer. My light is on my left hand (goodmanhandle) . My computer is on my right wrist.

There's no "right answer" because it all depends on your ability to work in a high stress situation. I don't like taking chances so I like to keep task loading to an absolute minimum.

Shining a light on your computer adds to task loading. So for me, a computer that you can see in the dark that doesn't require turning on a backlight is a must. A good excuse to buy yourself a Shearwater Petrel.

Sharing air is task loading. I sling a pony on most dives and would definitely carry one on an 80+ foot night dive. If my buddy is OOA I can hand off the pony and clip it to his/her harness.

Sharing air is task loading. I sling a pony on most dives and would definitely carry one on an 80+ foot night dive. If my buddy is OOA I can hand off the pony and clip it to his/her harness.

I don’t think that would be less taskloading.

If your buddy is oog he need gas immediately. It would not an option to deploy the hose of the pony bottle and to open the valve. There wouldn’t be enough time for that. I would just take the regulator from my mouth.

Removing the pony bottle from your bcd and give it to your buddy and let him clip it to his/her bcd would also be more taskloading.

The option to give him first my longhose and later the pony bottle and let the oog diver switch regulators is also more taskloading.

We offer a very compact and inexpensive light which securely mounts to your mask and will provide the ability to see your gauges and other things within a few feet. One light is sufficient to see your computer etc.

Mini Dive Light | MAKO Spearguns

MMDL-2T.jpg

What brand/model regulator did you use?
Curious if the 2nd was adjustable.

Kudos for handling the situation as you did. You didn't do what you hear on hear all the time on this site and "rip the reg out of your buddies mouth" thing.

If you find it too uncomfortable to breathe from a freeflowing second stage, AND you have an alternate, simply begin breathing on your alternate and ascend normally. If necessary, a freeflowing second stage can be shut off by bending the hose.

Back
Top Bottom