French Polynesia during Christmas and NYE?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blue skies

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'd like to do some diving in FP, mainly I wanna hit up Rangiroa and Fakarava to see pelagics. I'm on a set timeframe though. I have off from Dec 21 until Jan 4 (those are basically flight days). What's the best breakdown between 2 locations? I'm looking for 3 dives a day (i'd like to get around 25-30 dives during the trip), and wondering if it's doable to spend NYE in Papeete?

Another question, is it worth bringing my own tanks or is possible to get other than regular AL80 there? Mine are Faber 100s, I use more than average air no matter what I do, I just like to breathe :wink:

My understanding is that you are going during the absolute busiest and highest cost season. Accomodations are booked and very pricy during that time. Source = South Pacific Handbook. Good luck.

Actually I found the day after new year F.Polynesia topside becomes pretty quiet. I was there from the 4th - 29th of January and only when the cruise shippers come in is there a noticeable (and MASSIVE) influx of tourists. Id also check Air Tahiti (not Air Tahiti Nui) website and see what flights are on where - Rangiroa and Fakarava are not always scheduled from Papeete every day. Sorry not much help as it falls just out of your time frame. Nitrox is available - Al80s are standard except on bora bora where they have bigger alloy tanks to the best of my knowledge.

I was thinking about a last minute trip xmas - new years . can anyone confirm or deny if it's "absolute busiest, accommodations are booked"
thx

Yes, you would most definitely need to book ASAP french polynesia has a shortage of hotels - several in tahiti have closed down during 2013 so if you intend to go I would start hitting the net immediately. You may find accomodation on Moorea easier to get (Pearl resort there is lovely) but be aware diving in FP is pretty much bland at moorea and bora bora. Diving try and find accom on Rangiroa, Fakarava or Tikehau.

Back
Top Bottom