French Polynesia - Tahiti

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubabrat

New
Reaction score
I need some input of the best islands to dive in Tahiti.

and also information on the dive operations. dive operations to stay away from - the ones that are good.

any information on economy/moderate accomodations on these islands. Im not looking for luxury. A clean bed and hot shower will make me happy any info. on the budget pensions, smaller hotels would be helpful.

Has anyone used the Air Tahiti Air passes for the inner islands?
thanks

We spent a couple of nights on Rangiroa as well, but I only did two dives there. The Tiputa Pass is spectacular, and the Blue Lagoon cruise is excellent(for owerwater entertainment, that is). Rangiroa has a lot more hotels, a bunch of dive-ops and a lot of tourists. Out of 7 weeks in the South Pacific(Fiji, Cook Islands and FP), Fakarava took the prize.
You might want to check out Manihi. A friend stayed there for a week, and can't stop raving about it.

moorea

Dive with Moorea Blue Diving - e-mail mooreabluediving@mail.pf - tell Rafeal that Claire from New York recommended him

Stay at the Club Bali Hai - pay a little extra - get the room with the kitchette - the food store is 5 mins walk away - you can then make you own lunch and breakfast. Have dinner at Alfreados - 2 mins walk away - good pasta and reasonable - there is also a good pizza place about 10 mins walk away

Other resteraunts will come and collect you

I spent a week on Moorea and it was not as expensive as many people will lead you to beleive.

Check yahoo for air fare - they had a special in oct that was cheeper than booking direct with Air Tahiti.

I have been to French Polynesia a couple of times in the last two years.

Rangiroa. Always have enjoyed. Passes are fun. Dived with Six Passengers at Rangiroa last time and liked their operations.

Did some nice diving in areas of Tahaa last year. Will try to remember name of small family run operator that we used.

Bora Bora was OK. Diving at north end was good but weather dependent. Lagoon diving very so so. Some other dive sites with lemon sharks are pretty good for the sharks. Corals - not much except for north end which was good.

I agree with sealkie. Rafeal at Moorea Blue Diving was great. I was in Bora Bora and Moorea last May. The diving was the best I've seen so far. I preferred Moorea. Definately go to Alfredo's. They also serve good margaritas.

Duane

Went to Moorea in January 03. Dove with TopDive, who I'd highly recommend. The found good dives for us even with a pretty big swell, and the divemasters did a good job of handling a rookie who panicked 65ft down at the Tiki, dropping her mask and regulator.

Back
Top Bottom