frequent divers need less weight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will be of no help regarding the article. I believe I was properly weighted from the get go. I was also very comfortable in water for like, 40 years, and did a lot of snorkeling (shallow freediving if you will). I started out with 42 pounds and gradually got down to 37 as (I figure) my bought-used wetsuit lost integrity. Got a new used one about 4 years ago and my required weight was-- 42 pounds. That would be after about 500 dives. I am not overweighted in my 7 mil farmer john-- in person instructors have attested to that.
I think many think of this weighting loss regarding someone who was overweighted at first, maybe not 100% comfortable diving and had mechanical problems like sculling, poor kicking, overuse of BCD air to & from, etc.
Based on my own experience, I would say a lot of dives did not improve my "diving" physiology, and definately not my weighting.
Anyway, that's my story.

If you get into diving long enough, you find out that the goal is to reduce weighting, so with frequent diving, you can experiment. So, the reduction in weight could be due to trying to achieve this goal and the frequency allows that to be achieved?

Divers need less weight as they dive more because they:
1. Begin to learn how to shed the extra weight from their OW overweighted days.
2. Breath fuller with less static air remaining in their lungs and are more relaxed.
3. They pick better gear that is not as inherently buoyant.
4. Their wetsuit begins to stay more and more compressed and crushed down with each dive causing them to need less weight.
5. They get in better shape to enjoy diving so they may lose some body fat, or the activity of shore diving and all the physical work involved automatically gets them in better shape.

6. All of the above.

If you get into diving long enough, you find out that the goal is to reduce weighting, so with frequent diving, you can experiment. So, the reduction in weight could be due to trying to achieve this goal and the frequency allows that to be achieved?

That is a fine goal for some people, but striving to determine the absolute minimum amount of ballast necessary for a scuba dive is NOT a concern for me what so ever. I actually prefer to carry some extra lead, so I can be stable and heavy and hold onto some structure if the current is strong and I want to stay put.

Reducing weight isn't something I've ever fretted about. As long as I don't have a bunch of extra air in my wing during the safety stop, I'm good. I'm not interested in trying to get it shrink-wrapped around the tank.

Reducing weight isn't something I've ever fretted about. As long as I don't have a bunch of extra air in my wing during the safety stop, I'm good. I'm not interested in trying to get it shrink-wrapped around the tank.
Yes, I'm with you on that. Years ago I did obsess with my lead being accurate to the nearest 1lb - until I learnt to properly breathe and use my lungs correctly. Where I dive some weight in hand is considered beneficial

But this thread is about newer divers. The default is that it's always the instructor overweighting students. Why clearly there is some validity because it does happen, but that's often not the whole answer.

Unfortunately lots of Instructors don't fully understand the real reasons, and thus can never communicate it to divers.

Everyone is taught to weight check with an empty tank. It's perfectly possible to do it with a full tank before you start the dive. In this case your head should be a hands width below the surface, which gets you in the ball park. Good enough to get you dialled in before the dive.

So many people absolutely refuse to do one, because they know better - and yet you know they've got too much weight.

A new diver is generally never relaxed at the surface, they're finning and sculling, and a bit stressed and anxious. This triggers the fight or flight reflex, which subconsciously drops the diaphragm to give you greater lung volume (so you can run away from the sabre tooth tiger)

Already the diver is more buoyant, then they take a gulp full or air or are breathing in the top half of their lungs, and more than likely have problems venting their BCD (often they let go of the button too early or not in correct orientation) and have issues descending.

The "answer" to all this generally seems to be to add more weight.

Then when they get to depth, maybe they see a pretty fish, their attention is distracted, their brain goes into normal breathing and they're suddenly negative (no longer breathing in the top half of their lungs) This causes them to add air, get stressed thus causing diaphragm to drop again, increasing lung volume, and up they go. It becomes cyclic

Answer of course = Add more weight

Maybe they'll get more experience and be self aware enough to realise they no longer need that weight and reduce it. Often not. Lots of divers even those with over 100 dives, cling onto weigh like a safety blanket

I'd seen some skinny little things absolutely determined they need X weight when they're clearly significantly over weighted, but trying to convince them otherwise can be a challenge.

When I teach PPB I make bold statements to the student that I'll guarantee they'll be removing significant weight (mostly) There's always a look of horror and disbelief - so I make a bet - A case of beer etc. I've never lost that bet (I don't' actually collect but would honour the bet if I were wrong)

The student just needs belief in themselves, and we do a lot of shallow water work where not only do they get confidence, but prove to themselves that they don't need the weight

If I had another day during OW I could build it into that course - but that's a whole different argument.

Agree. What is "frequent"? I figure if you dive locally & regularly this takes very little time. If it's one or 2 dive trips a year you're probably gunna achieve that goal, in about, well........

Divers need less weight as they dive more because they:
1. Begin learn how to shed the extra weight from their OW overweighted days.
2. Breath fuller with less static air remaining in their lungs and are more relaxed.
3. They pick better gear that is not as inherently buoyant.
4. Their wetsuit begins to stay more and more compressed and crushed down with each dive causing them to need less weight.
5. They get in better shape to enjoy diving so they may lose some body fat, or the activity of shore diving and all the physical work involved automatically gets them in better shape.

6. All of the above.
I like your list, as most of it explains my constant weight situation over 15 years--

1. I don't think we did OW weight checks--maybe due to diving wet in Nov. in Nova Scotia, and that takes time when you may wind up frozen. But, when I got to Florida when we "snowbirded" 2 months later, doing a weight check was no problem. It wasn't really a matter of "beginning" to find how to shed extra weight. I believe a weight check is the same for OW dive #1 as it is for a Master Instructor.
2. Again agree. I'll pompussly (sp?) say I breathed perfectly from my first breath underwater on CW dive #1. Because I am great.
3. Makes sense. Maybe my weighting didn't change here because I'm too cheap.
4. Absolutely, as per what happened to me over 10 years with the old suit.
5. Makes perfect sense. Me: same shape at 66 as when I started at 51. Well, body fat-wise anyway, not climbing down rocks-wise....

Agree. What is "frequent"? I figure if you dive locally & regularly this takes very little time. If it's one or 2 dive trips a year you're probably gunna achieve that goal, in about, well........

You would be surprised. After about 2x week long trips a year for 3 years. I dropped my weight from 12-14 to 8 lbs, with no change in gear setup. For me it was about establishing comfort in the water and confidence in my gear. When I started, I often had to have an extra 2 lbs (anxiety weight) to get down for the first 2 dives of the trip. But, then the comfort level came right back and I was able to ditch them. After a couple trips I no longer needed it.

The article was mostly focused on respiration and physiology, not trim and removing air from BC.
The more you dive, the more you can relax. The more anxious you are, the fuller your lungs will be and you will need more lead. At the beginning of the dive, with no air in your BC, while breathing normally, you should have just enough lead that the top of your head will be just awash. Exhale, and you should start to sink. If you're a little floaty at your safety stop, add a pound or two on the next dive. The less lead you need, the better.

Back
Top Bottom