frequent divers need less weight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We were in 7 mil farmer john wetsuits. Appreciate the process described. Have read of a variation or two of it.
Still to date always diving wet, the 4 years I assisted on OW courses weight checks were done at the ocean at the start of OW dive 1. But, I only assisted in Aug.-Oct. when cold water was no issue. I did assist once in Nov. as a DMC and can't recall if checks were done. Either way, I would be surprised to see a shop follow this procedure for each student--you know, the old "time constraints".
I have heard the shop has begun a bit of offering the OW course in drysuits. Don't know how that is decided/rented, etc.
Yeah, I will admit that I initially made students suffer a bit with doing the weighting procedure that I was taught in my IDC (which sadly was about 5 lbs overweight, as the negative buoyancy of the scuba kit wasn't factored in).

The method I described was influenced by @custureri who had a blog post on it (Proper Weighting Procedure for Divers). My method isn't perfect, but it got pretty darn close, and any adjustment on the first OW dive was confirmed on the second one. When I open up shop in Greece, I will be using that method again. I will have a database of each wetsuit and its positive buoyancy characteristics, as well as the negative characteristics of the scuba kit. Fins will be Deep 6 Eddy fins that are neutral.

To me, being a cold water dive instructor, I have to manage my student's comfort (I know I am preaching to the choir). That's why I don't teach in wetsuits here, and I also teach only 2 students at a time, as I want them to be moving more (though sometimes just getting used to being as still as possible). I do have concern about students getting cold in dry suits. I want to make dives as long as possible, but as long as my students are comfortable, as being cold is not conducive to learning. I'd rather do just one dive a day if necessary and have the course drag out, or a big surface interval. I'll be flexible to whatever works for my students. As an independent I can do that.

But getting to the OP. I think classes are rushed. Students learn to dive in CW. If using a warm pool for CW and OW is in cold water, I think a dive for acclimation is appropriate to ensure students are relaxed. I do believe time spent on getting students relaxed pays off. Just as getting them neutrally buoyant/trim, as instructors far more experienced/skilled than me have proven to streamline the time required to develop proficiency at all the skills. Student comfort in terms of temperature, floating in the water column are paramount. I'm a big believer in addressing all of that at the start of the course.

Students with check-box instructors are likely to not exhale as much, and thus require more weight than what they would need while relaxed.

wetb4, I agree with all you say and applaud you. My interests turn to the financial aspect of only teaching 2 students at a time. I can see how you can accomplish your goals. Perhaps you teach 2 different ones every day?

wetb4, I agree with all you say and applaud you. My interests turn to the financial aspect of only teaching 2 students at a time. I can see how you can accomplish your goals. Perhaps you teach 2 different ones every day?
I'm independent, teaching on the side (though waiting for Covid19 to blow over). My day job is as a software/firmware engineer (currently working 2 jobs). So I'm in no rush to go back at it, as I have elderly parents.

I suspect when I open my dive op in Greece, I will be mostly guiding, with some teaching. I expect teaching groups (friends or family). Ratios will be 2:4 or 3:8.

I'm independent, teaching on the side (though waiting for Covid19 to blow over). My day job is as a software/firmware engineer (currently working 2 jobs). So I'm in no rush to go back at it, as I have elderly parents.

I suspect when I open my dive op in Greece, I will be mostly guiding, with some teaching. I expect teaching groups (friends or family). Ratios will be 2:4 or 3:8.
Understandable since you have a day job. Let us know when you open your shop, and good luck.

but the Canada-US border will probably be closed until 2021. My thoughts on that got me in trouble politically with one of my Clarinet Forums.

pssht I gave you some good info on that post in the Pub. Was actually able to help some others too.

I do find that as I've gotten older and fatter I need more weight. Used to get by with 8lbs but now need 14lbs. I think I'll do a check in Sept in CZM just to make sure it's not in my mind... Not my fat assness, my lead use.

pssht I gave you some good info on that post in the Pub. Was actually able to help some others too.

I do find that as I've gotten older and fatter I need more weight. Used to get by with 8lbs but now need 14lbs. I think I'll do a check in Sept in CZM just to make sure it's not in my mind... Not my fat assness, my lead use.
Getting older for me means less climbing down rocks and walking far geared up. But no fatter & no weight change.

I want to go to Greece maybe next year or the year after. I’ll ask you where you have set up shop. :)

I want to go to Greece maybe next year or the year after. I’ll ask you where you have set up shop. :)
Let me know when you are planning to go.

if my plans come together I’ll be going every year for a few years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom