Friday Night Norte

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Dillehay

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but expect a Friday night Norte, may close the port for Saturday or Sunday. But not too strong. Wind guru.com and South Texas.

Dave

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but expect a Friday night Norte, may close the port for Saturday or Sunday. But not too strong. Wind guru.com and South Texas.

Dave
This morning I put off coming down this weekend for next weekend. Tried positive thinking since last weekend but gave up when Windguru refused to cooperate. Hopefully this crap will settle down for a spell.

This is the forecast that I've been worried about on the other thread.

Dave -- if you think this might close the port on Saturday or Sunday how should I read the tea leaves for Monday and beyond. Windguru (Windguru) shows NNW winds around 10 knots on Saturday morning and basically straight N at 14 knots on Sunday morning.

If that forecast leads you to think the port might get closed, what does your crystal ball say about the M-TH forecast which is higher wind speed, but slight NNE

Are you Diving on east coast this weekend and do you have openings.

1. WE won't know about the east side until tomorrow. Check with our office Friday PM.

2. Monday thru the week looks like enough easterly component to let the port be open.

Dave

I'm with Dave - Saturday is iffy, I think Sunday will be a blowout and the rest of the week looks ok as long as the winds keep that easterly edge to them :)

Just got word that Harbour Master is already talking about closing port at 1:00 today - still very calm here - but according to Wind Guru will really kick up in the next couple of hours

That same wind hit Galveston about 7 PM last night, 34F this morning with 20 mph Northwest wind. Looks like this is not going to be the best January! It was a January in, I believe, about 2001, that the port was closed for diving to some level for 21 days. That was my inspiration to explore the east side and figure out ways to get divers out there. Memo camped on the beach for a week and searched for dive sites in one of our small boats.

Found some great ones.

We are with holding the east side decision until this afternoon, if not evening.

Dave
This is the forecast that I've been worried about on the other thread.

Dave -- if you think this might close the port on Saturday or Sunday how should I read the tea leaves for Monday and beyond. Windguru (Windguru) shows NNW winds around 10 knots on Saturday morning and basically straight N at 14 knots on Sunday morning.

If that forecast leads you to think the port might get closed, what does your crystal ball say about the M-TH forecast which is higher wind speed, but slight NNE

If the wind does shift to the North East far enough then the port may very well open up. But how far to the east? So the rest of the week is a toss up right now. WE all hope for some luck here.

Dave

Port is now officially closed for all aquatic activities - so now the "until the next report" game begins

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom