Friends of the Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saniflush

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I just wanted to give a big thank you and testify for one of SB's members that is also a jeweler.

I saw @Tug giving kudos to @gypsyjim and his work in another thread. I have an anniversary coming up and this has been a pretty big year for my wife who has worked really hard at starting to becoming a diver. I thought what better gift than something that reminds her of something we have done together and she has worked really diligently at.
To that end I contacted Jim and gave him almost no guidance at all, only an idea of what I wanted it to represent. He came back to me almost immediately with multiple ideas. What a pleasure to do business with him and I cannot recommend Friends of the Sea Jewelry enough!

Below are a couple of photographs of the silver sea turtle bracelet he designed and made!

Attachments

• necklace1.jpg
    necklace1.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 116
  • necklace2.jpg
    necklace2.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 118
I just wanted to give a big thank you and testify for one of SB's members that is also a jeweler.

I saw @Tug giving kudos to @gypsyjim and his work in another thread. I have an anniversary coming up and this has been a pretty big year for my wife who has worked really hard at starting to becoming a diver. I thought what better gift than something that reminds her of something we have done together and she has worked really diligently at.
To that end I contacted Jim and gave him almost no guidance at all, only an idea of what I wanted it to represent. He came back to me almost immediately with multiple ideas. What a pleasure to do business with him and I cannot recommend Friends of the Sea Jewelry enough!

Below are a couple of photographs of the silver sea turtle bracelet he designed and made!

Wow, a thread named for my Friends of the Sea Jewelry!

Thank you very much for the kind words, I am thrilled that you liked my carvings of baby Hawksbill turtles, and that I was able to help you give your wife something meaningful, that speaks of your connection with the sea together!

Again, thank you!

0705170828.jpg
I had been recently experimenting with a new idea for a turtle bracelet, so I had extra Sterling Silver links on hand.

I am actually quite satisfied with the design that you and I settled on, with just the 3 center links.

Last edited:
I saw it on Facebook and I was wondering who it was for....

Hope the Mrs enjoys it! Congrats on the anniversary!

@gypsyjim I have to take this opportunity to say that the Hawksbill pendant and Octopus are two of the three pieces of jewelry I wear. I am just not into jewelry but those pieces really represent the things I love the most, my husband, my friends and the sea.

I can't tell how many times I am asked about them!

For anyone looking for the perfect gift I have given Jim's work on a number of occassions and everyone has been delighted with the pieces!

As long as you keep creating Jim people will be able to share the beauty of the sea..

Thank you!
I love it when others enjoy my carvings and designs, and share my love of the sea.
20160615_151034.jpg

Bowlofpetunias, it was you and your image that inspired this Octopus.
1447773062486.jpg

The first Hawksbill pendant I carved was also inspired by another Scuba Board member.
Like you, I wear this piece myself.

BoP, my most recent carving was a contract from another jeweler, for a Tree of Life ring.
I generally do not carve for other jewelers, just for my own pleasure, or for my customers, or customers of the retail jewelry store that employs me full time.

In this case, the other jeweler paid well, and agreed to me keeping the mold and offering the carving myself.
0710171515b.jpg

0710171513.jpg

In 14K and in Sterling Silver

FB_IMG_1460044273328.jpg

These are examples of the entire series of Hawksbill carvings that I showed saniflush, and he asked me to create a bracelet for his anniversary.

Other than the large pendant, I have done all as pendant, earrings and as bracelet links, both in Gold and in Sterling Silver.

BoP, my most recent carving was a contract from another jeweler, for a Tree of Life ring.
I generally do not carve for other jewelers, just for my own pleasure, or for my customers, or customers of the retail jewelry store that employs me full time.

In this case, the other jeweler paid well, and agreed to me keeping the mold and offering the carving myself.View attachment 418086
14K View attachment 418087
In 14K and in Sterling Silver
Reminds me of coral .. I love it!

I am honored that my pic inspired you to do such a lovely piece. Octopus are some of my favorite critters!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom