Frog kick and PSD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Mighty Thor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
If there is any visibility, does anyone use a frog kick or modified frog kick to conduct search patterns? When, if ever, is it used, and if not, than why not?

Most of the time around here it is zero viz searching. But if I were to encounter a situation where I had a little, I'd definitely use some type of anti-silting propulsion.

Of course that assumes the viz is good enough I'm not searching with my hands in the first place, which does a pretty good job stirring up the muck regardless of my fin technique.

If there is enough viz to be off the bottom, it is the kick I use 90% of the time.

I get counseled regularly when working with OW classes about frog kicking, for me it is intuitive and my preferred method of propulsion regardless of conditions, just seems natural to me.

If I have the advantage of visibility and want to stay off the bottom, I add just a small bit of air to the BC which is compensated by a flutter kick with fins oriented slightly towards the surface. Fin wash is away from the bottom and I am able to place my facepiece close to the bottom for observation. When you're talking of 12 inches of visibility I want keep my torso, legs and fins as far away from the silt at possible. Certainly this depends a lot on the object we are searching for or the mission.

If I am searching for a vehicle or a victim I am not concerned about maintaining visibility. If I am trying to read a license plate or document a scene, then it's "fins up" for me. It's just a personal preference that has worked well for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom