frog kicking with fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting, but where does it talk about frog kicks? Looks like it was based on the flutter kick.

I swim about 10 miles a week in fins. If you send me a pair of Force Fins, I'll put them in a study and write a paper.

Interesting, but where does it talk about frog kicks? Looks like it was based on the flutter kick.

Yes. There is a physiological basis for the strain experienced from flutter kicking with flat fins. Something I solved by looking at the natural kick strength of our leg first. Personally, I and most of us move more efficiently flutter kicking. Frog kicking may have taken hold in training through cave diving, but it is as much a fix, compensation for fins that work against your natural kick strength.

I swim about 10 miles a week in fins. If you send me a pair of Force Fins, I'll put them in a study and write a paper.

I think a better follow up study would be the strain of frog kicking against fins, jet fins in particular.

Yes. There is a physiological basis for the strain experienced from flutter kicking with flat fins. Something I solved by looking at the natural kick strength of our leg first. Personally, I and most of us move more efficiently flutter kicking. Frog kicking may have taken hold in training through cave diving, but it is as much a fix, compensation for fins that work against your natural kick strength.
Flutter kicking is also a great way to kick up sand from the bottom and the coral - I see idiots doing it all the time . When in proximity of the bottom or a reef, I always use frog kicks. If done correctly with a proper glide phase, it's a very efficient kick. I only use flutter when I'm away from the bottom/reef structure and in a hurry/catching up to a group after separating as I like to take it easy, relax and see the sites. Scuba shouldn't be about how fast you can get from point A to point B - but, to each their own.

Agreed. Interestingly, the major breakthrough for Force Fins was when it was acknowledged that divers were less likely to stir up silt because when at rest, not kicking, the blade lifts the leg. Other fins drop your legs into the sand. Also, it was less likely to kick delicate reefs because the Force Fin blade is closer to the divers' leg than other fins. . See about 3.30 minutes into this video

Attachments

• fin_sizes.jpg
    fin_sizes.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 114
  • fin_sizes.jpg
    fin_sizes.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 109
Agreed. Interestingly, the major breakthrough for Force Fins was when it was acknowledged that divers were less likely to stir up silt because when at rest, not kicking, the blade lifts the leg. Other fins drop your legs into the sand. Also, it was less likely to kick delicate reefs because the Force Fin blade is closer to the divers' leg than other fins. . See about 3.30 minutes into this video
Diver in this video for force fins is kicking up silt flutter kicking at several points - exactly why frog kicking is the way to go when diving close to any structure - regardless of the fins one is wearing!

Yes. Blair Mott is frog kicking, helicoptering and flutter kicking throughout the video. Its a very silty wreck. In some instances, there is going to be silt whether you frog kick, flutter, or hold fins high and move your ankles, no matter the fin you use.

Yes. Blair Mott is frog kicking, helicoptering and flutter kicking throughout the video. Its a very silty wreck. In some instances, there is going to be silt whether you frog kick, flutter, or hold fins high and move your ankles, no matter the fin you use.
Honestly, I don't see anything remotely resembling a proper frog kick in that video - It's mostly pretty rapid flutter kicking. BTW, it appears his fins drop when he stops kicking so I don't see his fins lifting his legs at all?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom