From Caribbean to Cape Town

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Night diving in SA makes me feel like I'm putting sauce all over myself and offering myself to a bear... jeez... I'll bet the sharks are just WAITING to munch you!

Believe it or not you actually have to go looking for sharks over here if you want to see them !
No jokes, there is one spot that you must dive to see the Sevengill cowsharks - it is an awesome dive.
Other than that we do not see sharks very often, and Cape Town has quite a big diving population.

Awesome. I cannot wait. And I AM going to go looking for sharks as well.

Awesome. I cannot wait. And I AM going to go looking for sharks as well.

Isn't that a little like looking for a hungry bear in with woods back where you come from? :wink:.

Seriously, sharks are gentle creatures that have an unfair reputation. Great to see them on dives.

Anyway, I found a new dive shop here in CT. If you friend request "intothe blue" on facebook (look for the one on main road in sea point) you will get their weekly photos of Cape Town dives. I dived with them last weekend and they are pretty good as a shop as well. Their website is intotheblue.co.za

I always suggest Nitrox as a speciality. Otherwise what you have is more than sufficient. The Atlantic side was warm last week and I was the only one in a dry suit.

Well... it just occurred to me the other day that you can't pee in a dry suit... so that pretty much settles things for me. I can't imagine spending 5 minutes underwater without a pee let alone an hour!

Well... it just occurred to me the other day that you can't pee in a dry suit... so that pretty much settles things for me. I can't imagine spending 5 minutes underwater without a pee let alone an hour!

That's what Depends are for :wink:

As an addendum to what was said above, I finally got round to diving with Pisces Divers today. They get my vote for a safe dive operator that offers a quality service. Already looking forward to my next trip to False Bay.

With regards the dive False Bay wet contingent, boat of 8 with 6 in wet suits. I think wet was manageable for the dive, but the wind on the boat ride back was freezing.

I dive regularly with Pisces, but I know the guys from Down South. Perhaps I'll go with them more once I'm finished with my DM

I generally use Down South. I like them. They're a smaller shop than Pisces. They also have a smaller boat than Pisces (which has the advantage of being prepared to launch with fewer divers). But Pisces are a solid op, and the location of their new store is brilliant. Neither are good choices if you're an experienced diver looking for more of a 'water taxi' setup: I've yet to use either of them (I'm still relatively inexperienced myself), but opinions seem pretty much unanimous that Blue Flash and Underwater Explorers are the right choice for that kind of setup.

Back
Top Bottom