From Fiji ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Wasn't the best trip ever ... some disappointments ranging from bad weather to damaged gear to unexpected expenses to a 44 hour trip home. But even though we didn't get to see the best of Fiji, what we did see had it's high points ...

IMG_7861.jpg

IMG_7848.jpg

IMG_7988.jpg

IMG_8076.jpg

IMG_8236.jpg

IMG_8276.jpg

IMG_2685.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Attachments

• IMG_8136.jpg
    IMG_8136.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 320
What were the unexpected expenses please? 44 hours to get home . . .so sorry for you.

Coming home, Fiji Air cancelled our flight. They knew days in advance that the flight was cancelled ... but they didn't let us know until we were ready to come home. So we missed our connecting flights from LA to Seattle. Since we couldn't get ahold of Alaska Air until the last minute, the tickets we had previously purchased were voided, and we had to purchase new tickets to come home ... at $380 each (x 16).

In addition, thanks to the cancelled flight, I paid for a day room in Nadi that I never used ... and since we didn't know about the change in schedule until the last minute, there was no way to get a reimbursement on that expense ($75).

Fiji Air screwed with us every step of the way. The bus basically dumped us at the airport with no assistance whatsoever ... just 16 people standing in the parking lot with their luggage and no clue what to do next. The Fiji Air office was closed when we got there, so there was no one to answer our questions. We wandered around the airport for three hours trying to find someone who could help us get home ... and eventually Fiji Air opened a counter where we could get some answers, and a rescheduled flight home. They did eventually put us up in a hotel for the night, but it was 9:30 PM by the time we got there (12 hours after we left the resort). And we had to check out at 3 AM for our flight home ... which was further delayed because when we went to check in there was one counter open to check in a whole 747's worth of passengers. It took some people almost 4 hours just to check in. As a result, even our rescheduled flight was 2-1/2 hours late leaving Nadi. Fortunately our connecting flight still didn't leave LAX until six hours after we landed. We ended up spending our second night in transit sleeping in chairs at LAX.

Fiji Air surpasses Delta as the worst airline I've ever flown on ... I would never consider flying with them again ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

We had a similar fiasco with Qantas returning from Australia some years ago. After awhile the pain fades and you will be left with a good story...

FWIW - a friend of mine has an even worse story. She went to Fiji for a vacation aboard the Siren liveaboard ... and the boat never showed up.

... Bob (Grateful Dive)

I have flown Fiji Air from Lax to Fiji and back three times, and my wife has done it four times.

We had a problem with on flight being canceled due to a problem with a back up hydraulic system one time. They put us up in a nice hotel for the night, provided all food, transportation from LAX to the hotel and back, and got us a late check out so we didn't have to leave the room until it was time to go to the airport the next day . Oh, it was a practically brand new plane too. Anyway, we love Fiji air and will be flying them again in the near future.

All of that said, Fiji is not the western world and some things are just going to be FUBAR there from time to time. Many of these problems can be dealt with easily by someone that knows the country and has some contacts. Other times, you just have to deal with it.

Bob, sorry to hear about your "extended" travel. At least you brought home some great photos.

Did you buy travel insurance? I would specifically look for a policy that covers missed connections.

The longest check-in that I ever experienced was in fact at Nadi airport. This was 9 years ago when Fiji Airways was called Air Pacific. One family spent close to an hour at the counter. I really wonder if they were trying to buy tickets on the spot or if it was a seating issue. At least there were two counters open. I spent over two hours in that line. Lucky we arrived early.

Whats with all the giant cardboard boxes? Do they still check those in Fiji?

We came home with Fiji Air and some new VP just instituted a very strick overhead baggage policy that is just stupid. Had to check my camera gear that flew down on Quantas and the Caribbean no problems ever.
Then to further insult us, there was a medical emergency on board with 8 hours left on the flight. She's a professional and her and another doctor in 1st class nursed this guy all the way back to LA so we wouldn't have to divert.

Fiji offered her a $100 voucher to be used in the next year! Thanks but no thanks you cheap ass airline. What would the emergency landing have cost. These two doctors sat on the floor of the galley taking care of the guy with broken medical equipment on the plane. Never slept like the rest of the plane. Barely ate. I hope to never fly this joke of an airline ever again!!

Back
Top Bottom