From Full Frame DSLR to a Compact and being happy. My Digital De-Evolution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As with others, this post hits home. I was an early adopter of the E-PL1 system, upgrade from a Canon S80 and still shoot it. However, I keep thinking -- should I "upgrade" but then ask "Why? What would I gain?". And I can never come up with an answer that makes sense.

Yes, the newer systems (may) have faster focusing -- but will that actually positively effect my shooting? The new systems have more pixels but would I notice the difference?

I keep coming back to "My picks are good enough" and so I drool over new toys but don't pull the trigger. Thanks for giving me a reality check.

As with others, this post hits home. I was an early adopter of the E-PL1 system, upgrade from a Canon S80 and still shoot it. However, I keep thinking -- should I "upgrade" but then ask "Why? What would I gain?". And I can never come up with an answer that makes sense.

Yes, the newer systems (may) have faster focusing -- but will that actually positively effect my shooting? The new systems have more pixels but would I notice the difference?

I keep coming back to "My picks are good enough" and so I drool over new toys but don't pull the trigger. Thanks for giving me a reality check.

So True I remember I bought the epl1 and the next week they came out with the epl3 than 5,7

I did buy the omd em5 and cannot see a reason to upgrade except for the Nauticam housing I should of bought.(Olympus housing)

Great thread! I'm often tempted to "down grade to rx100 system. I really dislike having to change lenses and ports out in the field. I read in mjh article about rx100iv with 4/3 size sensor! I wonder if it would be possible to house a such a camera with a fixed port and use wet lenses. Or will it be like the lx100 with interchangeable ports. Seems to me it takes away the advantage of a fixed lens camera, at least for underwater photography.

Jon

It is wayyyyyy early but I think they will keep the RX100 line fixed lens. The already have the A6000 range of cameras. The problem will be if they go with a big zoom range. For underwater shooters it makes it hard to house and less functional at one end of the zoom range.

It sure would be nice if Sony/Canon/Oly/anyone would partner with somebody like Inon and Nautica/Recsea etc. and produce a integrated housing camera body with at least a few generations of guaranteed compatibility and a matching lens set.

Do not tell me it would be expensive, we are in a hobby here that bleeds money with many of us shooting rigs costing (total system investment) of $5,000 upwards of $20,000. A Sony RX-XX would be around $700 and a matching aluminum professional grade housing $1,200 and then throw in the convenience of matching lenses and system expandability, I would be willing to pay in the range of $3,000 for the basic integrated camera/housing (removable camera module).

This BIG sensor thing is kind of becoming like the speed wars of computer chips in the ancient days and then overnight it became a non issue. We are reaching a point now where sensors are delivering such quality that the big sensor bridge is about to be crossed and we can begin to wish versatility and capability and not just BIG sensors. Meaning I can do with a less than APS sensor size if it gets me speed, portability, wet lens use in a rugged and reliable camera system.

I have become spoiled in being able to change lenses underwater, that is true.

N

What would be nice is something like the Nikonos rs system

Will be interesting to see how this "new" sensor works. Could be interesting for shooting over/unders and sunballs...

Nikonos was a great system but at this juncture with the ability to switch lens underwater and their small size the new compacts are doing pretty good. In general the trade off with "universal" housings are size and dealing with controls. Some companies have tried it and got around it with going with electronic controls via circuit boards. Electrical housings just make me nervous.

I doubt it'll be available with housing before I need to make a decision, unfortunately.

Isn't the 24-70mm range less than ideal for working with wet lenses? I thought that was an issure with rx100iii for stills.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom