FRONT ZIP VS BACK ZIP WETSUITS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Among my exposure suits I have a 5.5mm Aqualung Balance Comfort full suit that is back zip and a 5.5mm Aqualung Balance comfort shorty that is front zip. The shorty is designed to be layered over the full suit and the front zip goes somewhat diagonal across the body and terminates partway down the thigh. It is not that difficult to get out of but having someone to pull it off my shoulders makes it much easier especially when layered over the full suit. I picked up 7mm semi-dry last season that I prefer to use but the semi-dry comes with its own issues...since the zipper is across the upper back/shoulders, it requires another person to zip and unzip.
(Pictures of the suits below were pilfered from the internet but my suits are similar models)
images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSUGztxTREdmmMkCfd2y1eq8B28xv3l10BiWStLttaZ_R24GgIq.jpg

upload_2020-2-19_13-9-0.jpeg
upload_2020-2-19_13-8-27.jpeg

-Z

I've been warm water diving for 40 years and have hit the Caribbean and much of Asia. Now I want to do some colder water diving as in Soccoro, Bali, Baja. I've only used Lavacore and skins. One big question I have is for a full suit or shorty, would it be better to get a front zip vs a back zip.

I rarely see a front zip on a dive boat. I see divers struggling to get their suits on. I have shoulder problems. Any and all input much appreciated. Thanks

Hi there good question!

In general suits are important also for protection from aquatic life so a shorty isn't recommended. Surely for warm waters they are very popular but for colder waters a shorty is definitely not a good choice.

Now front or back zips?
For wet suits a back zip is more often, the only draw back is that we need a buddy to zip you. So if certified to dive solo prefer a front zip.
For dry suits and semi dry, a back zip is a bit problematic because you can end up having pockets of air around the zip ends that are more difficult to squeeze out.
I prefer for dry suits always a diagonal front zip.

Not all warm water diving is done in the ocean where protection from aquatic life such as jelly fish and accidental/negligent contact with fire coral would an issue...fresh water lakes, ponds, quarries in some areas can be warm enough in some areas that a full suit is not needed or preferred.

A shorty is a versatile tool if sized correctly. I recommend shorty suits as over-suits instead of under-suits as the latter would require the full wetsuit to be sized larger than needed or if sized correctly would be snugger than necessary with a shorty underneath.

The other reason for an over-suit shorty is that if the water is warm enough to wear a shorty alone then it being slightly on the large size to fit over a full wetsuit would be of little consequence when warn by itself.

Wetsuits that zip vertically up the back typically have a cord/lanyard attached that the wearer can use to pull the zipper up/down on their own....if another person is present it is better to have them zip/unzip the suit to protect the zipper from undue strain, but they can be zipped/unzipped by the wearer if desired (check the cord/lanyard and the zipper pull tab occsaionally for wear and tear).

-Z

All other factors considered and assuming you have a buddy to help either way, I tend to run warm, I have a big chest, broad shoulders and a short neck. The front zip seems like it would be more forgiving to the neck and if I run warm, the less tight seal on the neck hopefully wouldn't be a big deal. It also seems the one piece of neoprene throughout the back would be more forgiving in the chest area since there's less seams. On the other hand, with broader shoulders, it would be more challenging getting on and off. What do you folks think?

All other factors considered and assuming you have a buddy to help either way, I tend to run warm, I have a big chest, broad shoulders and a short neck. The front zip seems like it would be more forgiving to the neck and if I run warm, the less tight seal on the neck hopefully wouldn't be a big deal. It also seems the one piece of neoprene throughout the back would be more forgiving in the chest area since there's less seams. On the other hand, with broader shoulders, it would be more challenging getting on and off. What do you folks think?

I think each make/model of wetsuit fits different and one needs to try on different suits to see which suits their body best.

I have used both front and rear zip suits and find little difference between them when actually diving if the suit fits well. Getting out of a front zip suit tends to be more problematic, and if you find yourself in "code yellow" but your buddy is pre-occupied with something, the struggle to get the front zip off your shoulders, to get the suit down past your waist, can be very real...so I prefer a backzip with a lanyard on the zipper pull.

How well a suit will fit a broad shouldered body has more to do with the overall design features rather than simply if it is front or back zip.

Fit is key.

-Z

One big question I have is for a full suit or shorty, would it be better to get a front zip vs a back zip
Hey Dave,
In general, front zips can be harder to take off. The main advantage of them that we hear about is that they're easier to unzip so you can let some water in if you get too hot during your dive. For the most part those who prefer front zip are those who've used them before and are used to them.

Personally I've dived both and prefer a back zip because I think they're easier to get out of.

I rarely see a front zip on a dive boat.
The main reason for this is likely that most suit lines are mass-manufactured and it's easier to offer fewer patterns.
I have shoulder problems.
In this case we'd definitely suggest a back zip over front zip. You might consider wrist zips as well...they make it way easier to get your arms in and out.

Hope that helps!
Derek & JMJ

I think each make/model of wetsuit fits different and one needs to try on different suits to see which suits their body best.

I have used both front and rear zip suits and find little difference between them when actually diving if the suit fits well. Getting out of a front zip suit tends to be more problematic, and if you find yourself in "code yellow" but your buddy is pre-occupied with something, the struggle to get the front zip off your shoulders, to get the suit down past your waist, can be very real...so I prefer a backzip with a lanyard on the zipper pull.

How well a suit will fit a broad shouldered body has more to do with the overall design features rather than simply if it is front or back zip.

Fit is key.
You mean a pee valve is the key.

Second best invention for scuba diving after the aqualung. I never dive without plumbing in.

Deleted -- wetsuit, not drysuit :-(

Hollis semi-dry is shoulder to shoulder front zippered, seems wrong and should be uncomfortable , but in the the water you don't even notice it, wish more suits are like that,
20211206_090905.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom