Frustrations trying to gain experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tstormdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Well,.... looks like its going to happen again (3rd time)........... I'm trying to get together some dives for Jan. with the other divers from the LDS. Everyone shows big interest at the start, then start backing out as the dates get closer:idk:. I realize that life throws curve balls at times, I can deal with that, but this is getting to be a pattern. To date, I have 2 dives outside of my full cave course, so I'm just a newbie, I have no problems with that or admitting that. I'm wanting to start gaining experience, but at this point, I feel like I'm just spinning my wheels (frustration coming through):shakehead:. I even had a friend who was chomping at the bit, he's newly retired & I with my work schedule get at least a week off every 5 weeks.

Anyway,... what have some of you single cave divers done to find buddies to be able to dive? I realize, unlike recreational OW diving, That this is a different level. You don't usually just jump in do a dive with anyone:no:. Any ideas? Right now, I'm burning the time off I have doing nothing. When, if I could get things to work, I could be gaining experience. Maybe then, I'm just impatient.....:(

Reactions: j2s
Easy, in your situation you know who the people are that dive a lot. Eithher send them an email and ask if the would mind diving or go on CDF and advertise you need a buddy for certain dates. There are many of us that dive with people of all different levels. Most of us would say sure if we don't have other plans, we wouldn't really say no unless we know you have unsafe tendencies. As long as your safe and not concerned with how far can I get in somewhere I don't think you would have an issue finding buddies.

I'll dive with ya. When you head down this way send me a message and if I can get it worked out in my schedule I will come up and dive. I need to get in as much practice as possible.

Many people in FL do guided dives from $100 to $250/day. I would call either some instructors or dive shops such as EE or CEE. An added bonus, once you tell them what cave features you enjoy, they can direct you towards more.

I would try the forums first however. I typically just ask mutual friends for references before diving with someone, or if I can't do that, go to an easy cave like Ginnie first.

What reasons are they giving for backing out? Have you dived with them before?

I actually have the opposite problem now, too many buddies (and some I am not happy to cave dive with so organising trips can be a delicate procedure). I met them mostly via forums, Facebook or whilst away cave diving... Can you post in the relevant local forum? And try to meet up with them for an easy dive at first to make sure they are ok? My main cave buddy is the guy I did my course with though, what about your classmates from Cave?

I think once you get known, and if you are a good diver, you'll find it easy to get buddies as people will recommend you to others and you'll just have met a bunch of people. I was lucky in that my cave buddy was as keen as me so the first few trips we went and I wouldn't have had other options to dive with but now I know stacks of people that I have met when I am away. So even though it is frustrating in the beginning you should be right soon enough :) So maybe if you can't get a buddy just hire a guide and you'll probably meet people on the trip for future trips.

I'm having the same problem Tammy! It's hard for me to find consistent buddies. I am a slow and plodding cave diver.

Tammy, I wish I could be there in January. You and I have so much in common; I'd be happy to do some dives with you!

I'm having the same problem Tammy! It's hard for me to find consistent buddies. I am a slow and plodding cave diver.

Me too, I like learning the nooks and crannys of each cave.

I had a wonderful experience during my cave trip last November. I was staying a week longer than anyone in our group, and I looked on line for some buddies. I found scubavideoservices, who said he was recently Full Cave, and was having trouble finding buddies who didn't want to strap on a stage and head for the end of the line . . . we were PERFECTLY suited to one another. What I wanted to do was go to caves I already knew on the main line, and do ALL the jumps, starting at the front of the cave. The two of us spent three days in caves I felt comfortable in, and often didn't get more than about 20 minutes from the entrance. We swam jump lines to see where they went -- and sometimes they intersected other jump lines, and sometimes they ended and sometimes they came back to the mainline. We ended up with a much better understanding of the caves, and we had so much fun! I vividly remember handing up an extra spool, and laughing . . . There is SO much to learn in each cave. I could dive all of them again and again, except there are so many, and I have so little time!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom