Ft. Wetherill 4/30/11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

solor

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
First dive of the season, dove wet at Wetherill around midday (low tide). Began the dive under sunny skies, came up to gloomy clouds. Surface was like a lake. Swam out east wall of right cove, then back the other side. Hit 33' max, 47F, 60 minute dive. Viz was maybe 10' inside the cove, less toward the point. Dove with 2 buddies, this was our first time at this site.

Tons of cerianthids, couple small bugs, spider crabs, dead 9" worm of some kind. Great to get wet again, though pretty chilly. We stuck to just the one dive. Maybe back for more tomorrow. Looking forward to more exploration of this location.

Steve

Thanks for the report. It's always nice to read a local report when you're stuck at work

Dived Ft Wetherill Sunday night 5-1-11 Short solo dive. Vis was a solid 10' maybe 15'. The slack high and sunset were within minutes of each other. The cove was rocking last night! Saw large schools of small fish or larve of something. Jellyfish with very long tentecles, squid, skates, and lots of small bugs 2 may have been keepers I left them no license. I didn't have enough weight so I wasn't able put enough air in my dry suit to get a nice warm air pocket going. The suit was pressing against me and after half an hour I started to get cold so I headed in for a total of 40min @ 20' avg 46F. Hope the vis continues to be good, last year sucked.

Kudos A.D. Thanks for the report. Those night dives sound like they are full of excitment. I forget you folks in R.I. can get Lobster at NIGHT! We can only experience that a half hour before or after Sunset. That bouyancy problem really sucks. I had the same thing happen last week and had to carry a rock around. Be safe :)

Went to Wetherill yesterday with vis at 15 -20 feet. Surface temp was 60 F and @ 50ft was 55 F. Fog was pretty heavy, and wish I had brought a sweat shirt for after my dive.

Back
Top Bottom