Fukushima (Japan): TEPCO to release radioactive water into sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Remember the fake " plumes of radiation " pictures people shared after the initial incident. Debunked repeatedly and still see them being passed around occasionally.

Tritium. No big deal.
It depends. I once had 1 Ci of T2O in my lab. As long as it stayed in the tube I could hold it with my bare hands. But if I decided to drink it, this would be another story.

It depends. I once had 1 Ci of T2O in my lab. As long as it stayed in the tube I could hold it with my bare hands. But if I decided to drink it, this would be another story.
Truth, you don't really want to bathe in it either.

Sometime I like tilting at windmills and attempting to educate the general public about something I actually happen to be expert on. Not just making up facts as I go along.

You are going to have to change your signature if you want to be all experty and stuff.

I suggest "Please do not let the facts of the matter interfere with my discourse on the subject. Aside form nuclear stuff. I'm da bomb at nuclear stuff. And liveaboards. Oh and USCG regs. And anything to do with beards."

A lot of used dry suits for sale at the Fukijima Swap o Rama.

2 mil shorties? Hard to find.

Warm water, oddly shaped fish.

Tritium. No big deal. The fission products and decay daughters are less than MDA and all radionuclides are far less than legal limits and what the Navy pumps overboard during routine operations.

So anyone want to translate this into layperson speak?

Those are contaminated water and not just from the cooling water. There are other nasty radio active stuffs in it.

So anyone want to translate this into layperson speak?

There was this scandalous rumour that even if they took the "nasty radioactive stuff" from all the nuclear power plants of all time, and spread it evenly over the world's oceans, the resulting level of pollution and environmental damage would be less than what we get now from releasing "clean coal" smoke in the atmosphere.

The "stuff" in question is nowhere near that much and is considerably less nasty.

Or they can keep it inland and let it leach into the water table. As much as they try, it will eventually start leaching.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom