Full Face Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like the hard wired com also. Thank You All for the comments on this. If others have comments please post or message. At this time we are trying to budget or obtain funding to go after the Divator II. Will post later as to what success we have with this.

Interspiro AGA Masks with wired comms for our team. Back in 2000 when we started researching full face masks we narrowed it down to the EXO26 and the AGA mask. After trying both we went with the AGA mask with OTS comms and have been very happy.

Craig from OTS has said in two other posts that their target market is recreational or sport not Public Safety. I am not saying that it could not be used for Public Safety but I would want to make sure it held up before putting it into full blown service.

I know of a few agencies who bought less expensive full face masks and took them out of service due to problems with regulators fouling.

As with anything new be cautious!!

Mark D.

Great posts. Thanks all. It's been a while since I've been on the forum, but glad to see lots of good topics.
We, too, are in the market for FFMs for the team. Since we're volunteer and will be looking for donations and applying for grants and the like, what are the MkIIs going for these days?

I got a quote here in Connecticut last October for a yellow silicone skirt, demand regualtor and ABV for $779.00. This is without Comms. Add the OTS EMA-2 ear mic assembly, dual ear, PTT ctrl, Hot Mic, HiUse connection for $475.00 and the total comes to $1,254.00. I am sure prices are us in the new year.

Hope this helps.

Mark

I like the AGA mask, but there is no way that our team would be able to use hardwire communication. We have a difficult time just keeping the safety line from being hung up on stuff. we use the OTS wireless comm box. Its not perfect, but with practice you are able to communicate and there is no hardwire to get hung up.

Hey chainsaw, the only 2 FFM's I have experience with are AGA's and EXo 26's. AGA's fit my face better than the EXO 26. Think I remember reading that EXO 26's mist in certain positions, but cannot recall the source.

I just converted 2 AGA's over to the ABV (Ambient Breathing Valve, replaced the old shield). Love it so far, just playing with the new valve for the first time in a pool this weekend. :)

SRQCO,

There are techniques for keeping your line from snagging. If you dive tethered to a tender with a safety rope then you can use wired coms. If you are not familiar with wire comms the wire is inside the safety rope. You are not diving with a rope and a wire that could get snagged. You just have one rope with the wire run in it. Our team regularly dives in man made ponds where the trees were cut but the stumps left behind. Other snag hazards like rocke and man made concrete structures, even large weed beds can cause your line to become fouled. Like I said properly applied techniques for PSD can help reduce your risk of snagging a line.

Good luck,

Mark D.

My team purchased EXO 26's about 20 years ago and the masks/system is still in service today. The EXO 26 is a heavy weight mask built to perform beyond which most of us would ever push. They are now serving a back-up role. About 12 years ago we purchased AGAs. They too are in service and each diver is issued one. We have switched comms and went with OTS EMA-2 and use the hardline as primary communications. We also have 3 SSB2010 modules to go wireless if we need.

The main reason we went to AGAs is weight, ease of maintainence and fit. We have the ability to run surface supplied or SCUBA with these masks. Most other teams in our area run them also, which makes mutual aid calls easier since everyone is familiar with the setup.

If I had to do it over again, I'd go AGA.

I just did a quick tally and it seems like the vote is:

9 in favor of the Interspiro Mk II mask and
1 in favor (or neutral) of the EXO-26 mask

I suspected this would be a fair represenation for what is happening nationwide in the PSD community.

The cheaper full face masks are not received well and many have experienced problems. The EXO-26 is heavy duty and may be overkill for what we need for PSD. It is a little bulky, somewhat heavy and when doing a cost benefit comparison with the Interspiro Mk II mask, most choose Interspiro.

The Interspiro mask has a time proven track record and those that have tried other masks typically regret their decision and often switch to the Interspiro mask. The Interspiro mask has a host of features and benefits including field of vision, ease of service, options which include the "hatch" for breathing ambient air on the surface while the mask is worn by the diver, a "rail system" that allows lights and cameras to the mask, the option to have positive pressure or demand regulation, the ease of adding a variety of communication systems, reasonable cost, good fit and comfort ... just to name a few.

Best of luck with your decision.

Blades

TRIVIA NOTE: The mask was manufactured by AGA many years ago and is now manufactured by Interspiro. Asking for an AGA is akin to asking for a "Model T" as opposed to a "Ford." Technically, these masks are called an Interspiro Mk II mask. AGA did such a good job marketing that even today, people still refer to this mask as the AGA mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom