Full Face Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alo100:
I'm thinking about buying a ffm for creational purpose, but at the same time I read
something from the "Diver" magazine which talks about the CO2 accumulation for the
early models, and thus become a problem for dive more than 33 ft depth.
If, let's say, I am considering ScubaPro/Mantis FFM... do you think it would be a
problem for the respective issue?

Thanks,
alo100@yahoo.com

I know this is a bit of an old post, but, I'll list this here anyway. CO2 isn't an issue with masks like the Interspiro or the Poseidon. The gas has a one way travel through the mask. Gas is vented up through the visor area, through the valves in the oral/nasal pocket and then out through the regulator. CO2 build-up is minimal, there is no push/pull of the gas, it never doubles back. This isn't the same for masks such as the M-48, ScubaPro or Mantis, however, the dead air space in these masks is minimal and not much of an issue.

Desa:
It had so much mud on the inside, I had to have it cleaned before the next dive. So yea, on that type of dive, a few drops of water on the inside would not really be noticed.......:)

Okay....so we do dive the same stuff....lol:D

mntdiver:
I know this is a bit of an old post, but, I'll list this here anyway. CO2 isn't an issue with masks like the Interspiro or the Poseidon. The gas has a one way travel through the mask. Gas is vented up through the visor area, through the valves in the oral/nasal pocket and then out through the regulator. CO2 build-up is minimal, there is no push/pull of the gas, it never doubles back. This isn't the same for masks such as the M-48, ScubaPro or Mantis, however, the dead air space in these masks is minimal and not much of an issue.
Wait a minute....that doesn't 'cipher'. If the inhale gas goes into the same place the exhale gas goes (such as, the oral/nasal), then there is SOME potential for CO2 buildup.

In general...The air we breathe contains 21% oxygen. The body uses roughly 5% of that, thereby exhaling 16%. When you inhale, you replace that air in the mask. In most ALL masks, a venturi effect is caused by the exhalation and draws that "old" CO2 air out (of course not all of it) to the extent where CO2 build-up would really not be a real concern. Now if you're self-mixing gases...Wel, that might be a different story....

mntdiver:

I didn't say there was no CO2, just that it's minimal... It's the flow of gas through the AGA that results in the gas being very clean. You're not inhaling up through the regulator, you only exhale through it. The inhaled gas comes from the visor area and is restricted by one way valves.

RGist:
With that said, are you sure that the units you purchased were Neptune II’s?

You mention that you do not like the Ocean Reef and said you were disappointed and did not like the size. Do you have a specific manufacturer and model that you feel resolved these issues?

As far as equalizing, I will admit when I first started using the unit it took some getting used to, but after about three dives I had it down and have not had any issues since. Not to mention, all of the other manufactures products (at least the ones that I have seen) work in a very similar way.

I tend to agree at this point in our team's search for a FFM w/ Comm.

All this talk about type of mask...as I am sure that all responsible divers on SCUBA Board MUST own Chevrolets ... :11: ... I posted a couple of days ago about the Neptune, after a dive with them, and got some pretty serious negative reviews. But, after going out again with the mask, I can't seem to duplicate the problems indicated (of course the masks are still new). Equalization merely takes a light push on the top of the mask (if you adjusted it initially according the manual). And the "thing" that sticks out front has not really been an issue for any of our 10 team members. The Kirby Morgans were VERY heavy and we NEVER had one dive where at least one of the OTS comms didn't go out. I'm not bad talking a particular model, but depending on your team unique requirements, set up, response policy, and budget, anything is better than standard recreational equipment, as long as training and safety are the utmost in your dive bag.:D

mntdiver:
I didn't say there was no CO2, just that it's minimal... It's the flow of gas through the AGA that results in the gas being very clean. You're not inhaling up through the regulator, you only exhale through it. The inhaled gas comes from the visor area and is restricted by one way valves.

Ooops. If I misquoted Mntdiver, sorry:D . I actually agree with you. Yeah. Unless you are REALLY having to mix your gas to extremes, you've probably got a lot more to worry about than CO2 in the mask...LOL

Fresh_Aire_Up_There:
I tend to agree at this point in our team's search for a FFM w/ Comm.

All this talk about type of mask...as I am sure that all responsible divers on SCUBA Board MUST own Chevrolets ... :11: ... I posted a couple of days ago about the Neptune, after a dive with them, and got some pretty serious negative reviews. But, after going out again with the mask, I can't seem to duplicate the problems indicated (of course the masks are still new). Equalization merely takes a light push on the top of the mask (if you adjusted it initially according the manual). And the "thing" that sticks out front has not really been an issue for any of our 10 team members. The Kirby Morgans were VERY heavy and we NEVER had one dive where at least one of the OTS comms didn't go out. I'm not bad talking a particular model, but depending on your team unique requirements, set up, response policy, and budget, anything is better than standard recreational equipment, as long as training and safety are the utmost in your dive bag.:D

I don't think it's so much of a Chevy vs. Ford thing, if that's what you mean. These comments come from experience with the equipment. The overall performance, design and quality has developed these opinions, not just from myself, but the others on this list and within the public safety industry. Are there biases? You bet. I think it's more of a Chevy vs. Yugo thing, but that's just my opinion. Not all masks fit everyone. Certainly the AGA mask doesn't. If an Ocean Reef is the only mask that fits someone, well, the AGA could be made of gold, but not worth a penny for that individual. But, in general, for those of us that have, what I refer to as "off the shelf" faces, the Interspiro is the best mask out there. I could list all the reasons, but it gets down to performance and quality.

I certainly understand the issues of budget constraints. In the 14 years that I was a peace officer, we had to deal with this all the time. It was always a fight to get the best equipment, not just what we could afford. End of year budget surplus funds made the end of year really feel like Christmas. A Rossi handgun might shoot just fine, but, I'd never carry one on duty. Does the Ocean Reef work, sure, but in head to head comparison, well, the cream of the crop rises.

You're absolutely correct, just about anything being better than standard rec. equipment. I often refer to the case of the two missing children in Georgia and seeing divers in standard scuba and wetsuits in an algae covered sewage pond. This was classic and all too often the case. Unfortunately it still comes back to budgets for the most part. How many firefighters would go into a fire with less than quality bunker gear and SCBA's? How much does a full set of this gear cost? And how much less of a hazardous environment is diving? Especially in the waters that public safety divers enter. Whatever, it's only life support...

Absolutely!! Yeah I remember when I started on the Team 14 years ago...The lieutenant said, "Go get that car." and I was like a dog playing fetch in my personal Dacor rec rig and my Wal-Mart shorty wet suit. Today, however, I'm in a FFM and dry-suit with tending lines, safety diver, etc., etc. What's that? Ignorance is bliss? We've come a long way, baby, but have a long way to go. I think this forum will definately get us closer. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom