Full Face Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use an EXO-26 full face mask when I need communication to the surface. I will also use a Superlight 17B when I need head protection as well as coms. Of course this is for surface supplied commercial diving.

For scuba I use standard mask and regulator.

Using a FFM would be good if you are pushing O2 tox limits for deco or other reasons. With the FFM even if you convulse you don't drown because when your body starts breathing again it gets gas instead of water.

One more thing that makes a FFM nice when surface supplied (for the unlimited gas supply) is the ability to keep a freeflow of gas over the faceplate to prevent fogging and also to keep a slight positive pressure in the mask to keep water out.

I have used them in the past but I like my half mask. The full face masks are nice but I really only prefer them when using communications equipment or surface supplied air.

Scott

i was using an Aga mask with a custom made side block to allow me to switch from bottom mix to deco mixes. Its not a perfect system so i now use my Aga on my 02 bottle for deco. i like the FFM, but if your gas switching theres no perfect / acceptable way to do it. if there was i would adopt it because i love my FFM. I had about 100 tech dives on it but a few ppl here have shown me the flaw in the system. I chose to ignore it but have now seen the light.

Andy

if i was to do single tank rec stuff i would still use my FFM, i like them alot. Im partial to the Aga but i like the EXO26 as well.

Aga FFM with demand regulator and MKII wireless communication. Once I started diving this setup, I wonderd why I waited so long. No comparison to conventional mask and second stage. No more fogging, can breath through nose! Easier to equalize, better field of vision. FFM actually breaths easier at 100ft. than 20ft. I can't say enough good things about it. You should be trained with it before attempting a dive. You can't believe how much fun it is communicating at depth. As good as diving was before, this enhanced it ten fold.

Which is considered better for recreational diving, the AGA or Oceanreef Neptune II? Also for FFM training, how long are these courses and what do they usually cover and what is the average cost?

The FFM course that I teach consists of one class session (covers lots of stuff), one pool session (2-3 hours) and two open water dives. The inwater work consists of adusting the reg (this depends on the mask and reg and where the reg is mounted), flooding and clearing the mask, switching to a backup mask and reg and OOA drills and just plain getting used to it.

Go with the one that is the most comfortable, we have the Ocean Reef. Both have their good points. The Ocean Reef is the only one I have used.

Sorry, I forgot cost. Our course is 150 I think (my wife does the billing, I just show up and teach what she tells me). If the mask is purchased from us we through in the class. We do the same with other big ticket Items like dry suits.

I have trained with the AGA and EXO. Takes about a half a day in class and half day in pool followed by open water dive. The AGA is extremely comfortable. Wide field of vision, hard line or wireless communication capability. I particularly like the the regulator located under the chin with side discharge. I believe the AGA is slightly more expensive than the Neptune but not sure. Many public safety dive teams in the NE Ohio area use positive pressure AGA. Very versatile comfortable FFM.

In my opinion, the AGA full face mask is the best of the best. All others try and copy it. It is great for Sport Divers as well as the professional diver. It was tested by Duke University at 1800 feet in unmanned tests.

Why use them? Comfortable, you don’t get dry mouth due to the fact you can breath out your nose as well as throat, keeps your face warm, keeps contaminates out of your face, great for underwater communications, its fun.

I used and tested them all. EX0-26 is my second choice and I would not own a Ocean Reef (uncomfortable needs adjusting every time you change depth).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom