Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not a fan of Ocean Reef masks for my personal FFM use, but this is right up their alley. You're not gonna fit a little Thai kid in a Dräger Panorama that's for sure. Kudos to Ocean Reef. They hit a homerun.

Thank you so much for your great thoughts and ideas. I'm always looking for other options and scenarios to enhance redundancy and safety...:)
The rumor is that the masks were put in positive pressure mode. I have done that on a OTS, as a diver it wasn't especially natural for me, I suspect because the flow rate was a bit high. I assume the ocean reef is not normally run in positive pressure mode? Know anything about how they did that modification or just general comments on how that facilitated extraction and minimized the risk of them not being able to clear your masks?

Bravo for having the sizes readily available for 11-16yo boys.

Good question. All of the Ocean Reef FFM that Diveheart has ever used are positive pressure. It's virtually impossible to flood unless the individual using the mask goes to ditch the mask in order to replace it with a traditional
scuba mask and second stage regulator. At Diveheart we train our Adaptive instructors and buddies to partially flood, fully flood and remove and replace the FFM. We also train them to disconnect and reconnect the quick disconnect hose from the diver with the FFM and replace it with our six foot hose in the event of an out of air emergency. The mask has six straps and is a very secure way to safely protect a persona airway. We use them for quadriplegics, quad amputees and individuals who will not accept a traditional scuba mask and regulator. Hope that helps.

The rumor is that the masks were put in positive pressure mode. I have done that on a OTS, as a diver it wasn't especially natural for me, I suspect because the flow rate was a bit high. I assume the ocean reef is not normally run in positive pressure mode? Know anything about how they did that modification or just general comments on how that facilitated extraction and minimized the risk of them not being able to clear your masks?

Bravo for having the sizes readily available for 11-16yo boys.
As Jim stated, the Ocean Reef FFMs are positive pressure. I've literally pulled the top part of the mask away from my face to flood and only gotten a few drops in because of all the air escaping out of the seal. One of the very reasons I dive a full face. That and the fact that it's nearly impossible to fog them and they eliminate jaw fatigue. The only real downsides are that they're a bit bulky until you get used to them and if diving especially warm water, you do (I do at least) tend to get a bit hot at times. But it makes a lot of sense why they chose the OR FFM for this extraction. Much easier to teach someone quickly how to breathe underwater since they essentially facilitate normal breathing through the nose and/or mouth. Unless of course you're me. I have mine set up so that my nostrils are closed off at all times and I never have to touch the mask to equalize. I simply close my throat and blow against it.

As Jim stated, the Ocean Reef FFMs are positive pressure. I've literally pulled the top part of the mask away from my face to flood and only gotten a few drops in because of all the air escaping out of the seal. One of the very reasons I dive a full face. That and the fact that it's nearly impossible to fog them and they eliminate jaw fatigue. The only real downsides are that they're a bit bulky until you get used to them and if diving especially warm water, you do (I do at least) tend to get a bit hot at times. But it makes a lot of sense why they chose the OR FFM for this extraction. Much easier to teach someone quickly how to breathe underwater since they essentially facilitate normal breathing through the nose and/or mouth. Unless of course you're me. I have mine set up so that my nostrils are closed off at all times and I never have to touch the mask to equalize. I simply close my throat and blow against it.
There's another drawback that's got me considering a return to traditional second stage. Since it's positive pressure, it's easy to leak gas. I've got close to 40 dives on mine now and am still frustrated at the sky high sac rate that I have. In June I did a week in Cozumel and I was consistently the first guy back on the boat. At home it's no big deal because I dive giant tanks that give me the dive times I need. On vacation where it's 80 or 100cuft tanks, it's kind of a bummer. Prior to using FFM, I wouldn't have said my sac was great (compared to what I read about on scubaboard) but it was totally acceptable. I could be the first guy in and not the first guy out.

The leaks I experience come from moving my head around, making a small gap somewhere that gas can escape. I'm not suggesting the masks are defective in any way.. it's just something unique to diving positive pressure FFM's that you have to manage.

There's another drawback that's got me considering a return to traditional second stage. Since it's positive pressure, it's easy to leak gas. I've got close to 40 dives on mine now and am still frustrated at the sky high sac rate that I have. In June I did a week in Cozumel and I was consistently the first guy back on the boat. At home it's no big deal because I dive giant tanks that give me the dive times I need. On vacation where it's 80 or 100cuft tanks, it's kind of a bummer. Prior to using FFM, I wouldn't have said my sac was great (compared to what I read about on scubaboard) but it was totally acceptable. I could be the first guy in and not the first guy out.

The leaks I experience come from moving my head around, making a small gap somewhere that gas can escape. I'm not suggesting the masks are defective in any way.. it's just something unique to diving positive pressure FFM's that you have to manage.
Yeah, I've experienced this, too. In Cozumel nonetheless. Usually one of the first ones back on the boat. But that's also when I'm moving around a lot trying to catch still photos, etc. I find if I'm more still and just sort of flow along with the currents I can get a few more minutes out of my tank. But yes I do notice a slightly higher sac, too.

Back
Top Bottom