Full Gear for Newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tubbyka

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been diving every summer for 5 years now. We usually dive once, maybe twice a year, always in the Caribbean, mostly Cozumel, but this summer we're trying Curacao. I really want my own gear now, but really don't know what to do. I've been to the local dive shop and asked tons of questions. I just want to make sure I'm investing in the right stuff, especially when it's a lot of money.

I'm 6'4", 290, so I'm assuming a XXL BCD is right for me? I always use resort stuff and it's either an XL or XXL. Can I buy used or is it best to just go in and get fitted, then buy it there? Is there that much of a difference in sizes between manufacturers? If I only dive once or twice a year, how much should I be looking at investing, or does that matter?

I'm also needing my regulator and octo, as well as guages, maybe even a computer.

Any suggestions or advice as to where to look or what to get is very much appreciated!

I live in Dallas and use this place, Scuba Equipment, Scuba Gear Scuba Diving Equipment Discount dive gear Snorkeling Equipment and Wetsuits Cheap online

I'm 6'4", 290, so I'm assuming a XXL BCD is right for me? I always use resort stuff and it's either an XL or XXL.

With a guy your size, your best bet is a Harness style BC. You can either go with a soft pack (DiveRite Transpac) or a BP & Wing (Halcyon Eclipse or Infinity System or DiveRite).

Can I buy used or is it best to just go in and get fitted, then buy it there?
I always like to start off new because I know how I treat my things and there is a comfort with that.
Is there that much of a difference in sizes between manufacturers? If I only dive once or twice a year, how much should I be looking at investing, or does that matter?
With a harness style systems the fitting part is pretty easy. With your typical BC (Oceanic, ScubaPro, Tusa) it is harder to find a good fit for a guy your size and the sizing is not always the same between manufacturers.

I'm also needing my regulator and octo, as well as guages, maybe even a computer.
Any suggestions or advice as to where to look or what to get is very much appreciated!

Oceanic has some good price points on Regs & Computers. Look at the GT3/Alpha8 for a Reg and a Veo 2.0 for a computer.
GT3 - Oceanic GT 3 Regulators *Buy Oceanic at DIVESEEKERS.com 888-SCUBA-47
Veo 2.0 - VEO 2.0 Wrist Computers *Buy Oceanic at DIVESEEKERS.com 888-SCUBA-47

Feel free to contact me & I'll be glad to help you out!

I second the harness BC system. I use to be very uncomfortable in a vest type BC and things got much better when I purchased a Dive Rite Trans Pac because it is fully adjustable in all directions (i.e. waist, sholder straps, chest strap). Go new with soft equipment like the BC and wet suit.

You can go used with a regulator system, as long as it is not too old. A regulator design over ten years old is probably not going to be as easy to service and less efficient than a new model. Sherwood regulator are good mid range diving regulators and the design has not changed much over the years. Easy to service, cheep parts and very reliable even when abused.

I still have my Oceanic DataMax Sport that is probably pushing 15 years old. Works fine even though I moved on the a multi gas diving computer. Most of the Sherwood dive computers are made by Oceanic, so you are getting the same thing either way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom