• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Full VDH Rig! Argonaut Kraken, Plate, and 18# Wing

Discussion in 'Vintage Double Hose' started by Kmart921, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Kmart921

Kmart921 Angel Fish

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Thanks, I'm looking forward to diving it as much as possible!

I'm coming up on two years of diving experience, 88 total dives. There is not really a vintage diving community in my area (that I know of) so I had no specialized training in the use of a double hose. In fact I'd never seen a working double hose reg in person, besides one or two non-functioning RAMs on display in shop windows.

I consumed any information I could find on the internet about double hose regulators. Of the top of my head... Alec Pierce's "Vintage Scuba" videos on DH regs, various postings on ScubaBoard and the VDH forums, parts diagrams for the Kraken, brochures provided by VDH regarding double hose regulator placement.

Once I received the regulator, I did about three pool dives to practice and adjust my setup before taking it into open water.

In my opinion Bryan does a great job providing essential basic info about double hose regulators to people like me who are new to them. And with the wealth of information available on the VDH forums and elsewhere, I felt confident diving it on my own.

couv and Sam Miller III like this.
  2. Scuba Lawyer

Scuba Lawyer Barracuda

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    Fantastic looking rig! I've had my Kraken for 5 years now and it still performs flawlessly. Used with the VDH backplate and crossed shoulder webbing places it in the optimum position for easy breathing. Have fun with your rig!

Kmart921 likes this.
  3. rhwestfall

rhwestfall Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    @Sam Miller III :

Adding to the comments, VDH and the forum of "misfits" there discuss many things, including resources. I used their suggestions to obtain numerous texts from "the early years" to book learn. Additionally, open group discussions, YouTube Videos, and trial and error have been the way. I'd speculate that is similar to how it was "then".

I will say that the first time I took it under water, it was a "nervous moment", but no different from the first time I dove a regulator that I rebuilt myself.

Hasn't killed me yet....

Cheers!

Kmart921 likes this.
  4. Sam Miller III

Sam Miller III Scuba Legend Scuba Legend

ridiculous to subline
    88 dives vs a veteran SSI pro 5000, a NAUI instructor with a jillione dives all over the world

What ever happened to "Ron" of VDH and his proposal for a mandatory double hose diving course ?

Has diving and professional double hose diving progressed to buyer train yourself ?
    Or buyer beware while entering a new dimension of self contained diving ?

SDM

5. rhwestfall

rhwestfall Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Unsubscribing.... This is going to go off the rails.....

6. Sam Miller III

Sam Miller III Scuba Legend Scuba Legend

@rhwestfall
    Unsubscribing.... This is going to go off the rails.....
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You can't reply to questions from a slow talking slow walking certainly slow thinking ole diver who asks such simple questions and would logically expect an equally simple answers ?

So it is with the modern diver--

SDM

7. Kmart921

Kmart921 Angel Fish

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I would say that the buyer is expected to do their research on how it works and how it dives. VDH has no responsibility in that regard. I had to sign a waiver to that effect.

It's my understanding that a lot of divers taught themselves how to dive with an Aqua-Lung back in the day. Maybe I'm wrong...

scrane, 2TH DIVR and lexvil like this.