Fundamentals 1 & 2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WhiteSands

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Saw on the GUE website->Diver Training->Scheduled Classes, if you click on Courses, there appears in the list a Fundamentals Part 1 & 2.

Is this a new development, and how does it work?

I wonder if that's for instructors who break the class up into two separate sessions? Our local instructors have been known to do two parts, one or two weeks apart, which makes scheduling easier for a lot of people.

It appeared in the most recent standards, 7.3, that became effective as of July 1st. I'm not sure if anything else changed from 7.2.

I just read the new standards - Fundies still exists, but they've also added Fundies 1 and 2 as additional options. Like Lynn mentioned, it appears to be for instructors who prefer to break the course into two parts for scheduling, or to provide students more opportunity to digest the material.

The split is mostly logical - Fundies 1 focuses on GUE team skills, gear setup, pre-dive drills, propulsion techniques and basic 5. It's basically the GUE Primer course (which was dropped from this version of the standards). Fundies 2 adds the swim test, s-drill, valve drill and smb deployment -the stressful stuff. Nitrox doesn't come until Fundies 2 now, which I suppose makes sense. No need to clog up the 2 day Fundies 1 course with the nitrox, gas management and min-deco presentations.

If the goal is to increase pass rates and reduce diver stress, it's a damn fine idea. Most of the students that I've observed failed Fundies because they lacked the basic stable platform necessary to successfully perform the basic 5 and drills. I've observed too many Fundies classes where it became painfully obvious on day 2 that no one would pass, but there wasn't really a remedy other than to have the students go back and practice the basics, then attempt the course again. So that leaves what - 40% of the course as being useful, and 60% being overwhelming? One of my buddies (who claims to have failed more GUE courses than anyone else on the planet) refers to the courses as evaluations, because he's never felt like there was enough time for him to learn the new skills before he was being asked to perform at a (relatively) high level of competency. And when the courses are expensive and difficult to schedule... that's a problem.

The two day Fundies 1 course has the potential to fix those issues by shifting the focus entirely to just being comfortable and stable in a gear configuration that may be unfamiliar, and learning the basics of propulsion techniques that may likewise be a new experience. If the students pick it up successfully - great; on to Fundies 2, where the skills become difficult and nearly impossible to perform successfully without a strong foundation. This seems to remove the pressure and stress of days 3-5 by allowing more time for platform development before attempting the most difficult portions of the course. That's probably a good thing - 5 days is not enough time for most divers to make such a profound shift in their diving habits.

On the other side of the coin... I do think there's a real danger in having it segmented so much - what used to be a single class (Fundies) has now become 4 - Fundies 1 (Primer), Drysuit, Doubles, Fundies 2 (Fundies), and if you add in Rec 2/3, there are now 6 possible classes to teach where there used to be two (Fundies/Tech 1). I see a couple of problems with this: Mostly, it's in the instructor's best financial interest to have more low-quality students vs fewer, high-quality students. That can create a situation where mentors are a threat to the instructor, as mentoring may eliminate the need for preparatory or remedial courses. We'll know it's happened when a mentor gets a tongue lashing for showing a fellow diver how to properly use a long-hose...

Ultimately, I'm all for whatever changes result in there being a larger pool of competent and passionate potential dive buddies. It's probably a step in the right direction.

Last edited:
I'm glad to see the change. Never liked primer, and the course is more accessible now that it can be broken up into 2 weekends.

I took fundies a couple of months ago in 4 straight days. I was totally exhausted mentally and physically. And I was taking it in wetsuit with a single for a Rec pass. I can't even imagine doing it in dry/doubles. I think this new split is great and the days off to rest/study/practice would have been very helpful for me and my team mate.

Having met quite a lot of GUE instructors now, I am entirely certain that the proliferation of workshops and fragmentation of classes has been driven, not by the instructor's desire to make more money, but by student demand. Getting things to the GUE standard can definitely require time and practice -- a GUE dry suit workshop is NOT a mainstream dry suit class, by any means. Being exhausted (and enduring VERY long days) has been a complaint about the classes for as long as I can remember, and this is clearly an effort to address that.

One of my buddies (...) refers to the courses as evaluations

To a degree that was my initial impression as well, until I received my C-card that read "trained in skill refinement (...)" at the back. I like that phrase, in my mind that's pretty consistent with my own goals, and with the outcome. I did some practice dives before and after, and in my (admittedly subjective) experience, the ones after seem to be more effective.

With this said, I also think having more smaller, incremental checkpoints is better than having fewer, bigger ones.

Interesting to see this idea that AG put into UTD after separating from GUE years ago coming back now. The GUE Fundamentals + Tech 1 => UTD Essentials + Tech 1 + Tech 2 split always seemed more manageable to me.

I wonder if that's for instructors who break the class up into two separate sessions? Our local instructors have been known to do two parts, one or two weeks apart, which makes scheduling easier for a lot of people.

I am also wondering if there is a max time frame allowed between the two classes? There may not be since GUE Fundies Part 1 now appears to carry a certification card with it, whereas Primer did not.

While I believe that a student seeking to continue down the GUE path should take the two parts relatively close together, this would give the option for someone to take Part 1...work on skills for as long as they deemed fit, then schedule Part 2 should they even decide to go further.

I like it. Good move, GUE. :)

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom