Fundamentals training when older

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JimboIL

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Howdy folks,
I've been recreational diving for 2 1/2 years, and have thought about Fundamentals training for some time. I really like the idea of doing the skills until they become muscle memory. Would really like the trim and buoyancy that I see with tec divers, and would also like to learn about decompression diving. I just turned 62 and am wondering if anyone has taken Fundies at a later age. I am getting myself into better shape for preparation, but would like to hear from anyone. No flame wars, please!
Thanks,
Jim

Took the GUE Fundies course when age 65 and it was great learning experience and was not physically difficult. I think that the Intro to TEC teaches same thing and might be better route. Yes, make sure you are in decent condition especially your core muscles. Planks and Supermans will help with conditioning.

I know 16yos and 65yos who have all gotten a lot out of the course. The days are often a bit long which can be more tiring in cold water than warm. So perhaps if you are retired with a more flexible schedule and income allows, a peak summer or FL based course might be more enjoyable. If you approach it as a learning experience it can actually be a good "working" vacation opportunity.

PS unlike that whippersnapper AJ I actually am 50 :p

I actually think it would help improve your diving. It made my underwater experience much more pleasant, but also decreased the effort needed.

I had a Fundies buddy almost 40 years older than me when I took it, and she did better than I did, despite being a foot shorter and a 100lbs lighter. You're good. Its quality dive training, and shouldn't be intimidating in any way.

If you’ve got the stamina for 4-5 days that start early and end late, you will be fine. You can even break it up into Fundies Part 1 and 2. The physical demands of the course are not high.

I turn 50 in a few weeks. I'm doing Fundies part 1 starting next Wednesday and finishing part 2 in March.

Thanks for all the positive information from everyone!
Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom