Fundies kicked my a$$

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was asked on day 1 which I was seeking - rec or tech. Perhaps the inability to switch was my supposition...

I'm not saying that your instructor didn't require you to say in advance, I'm just saying that it was likely an instructor-specific requirement not a GUE-wide standard....

I'm pretty sure this is not in the standards. It's probably not a terrible idea (in that in the long run it will do a lot to avoid people thinking of a rec pass as a much lower standard rather than something that you go for if you want to dive singles), but this is the first time I've heard of an instructor doing it.

It is not in the standards.

I was asked on day 1 which I was seeking - rec or tech. Perhaps the inability to switch was my supposition...

Differences in required equipment aside, I believe this is more about prioritization of time within the class. Specifically, trying to ensure that the time is spent on the things that are important for what you want out of the class. For example, there are certain skills that are not required for a rec pass (backup light deployment, etc). If you are going for a recreational pass, why not spend that time continuing to work on buoyancy and trim, or moving from a 3 to a 4 in the areas where you had more trouble?

I'm ALWAYS in favor of instructors asking their students what they want out of the class, and trying to tune the class to deliver that most effectively.

Differences in required equipment aside, I believe this is more about prioritization of time within the class. Specifically, trying to ensure that the time is spent on the things that are important for what you want out of the class. For example, there are certain skills that are not required for a rec pass (backup light deployment, etc). If you are going for a recreational pass, why not spend that time continuing to work on buoyancy and trim, or moving from a 3 to a 4 in the areas where you had more trouble?

I'm ALWAYS in favor of instructors asking their students what they want out of the class, and trying to tune the class to deliver that most effectively.

What if the student wants to learn back up deployment? What about deploying a backup light and maintaing trim and buoyancy isnt practice? I get what you are saying about the whole tuning a class for the students, but buoyancy and control can be practiced at each step, no need to limit any student. I took my class in a single tank and still got to do everything even though there was no way i was going to get a tech pass due to equipment.

What if the student wants to learn back up deployment? What about deploying a backup light and maintaing trim and buoyancy isnt practice? I get what you are saying about the whole tuning a class for the students, but buoyancy and control can be practiced at each step, no need to limit any student. I took my class in a single tank and still got to do everything even though there was no way i was going to get a tech pass due to equipment.

It's only limiting the student if the instructor withholds skills or knowledge that the student wants or needs, which I believe the student is responsible for communicating to the instructor. It's a two way street...

Really though, my point is simply that by understanding what each student is looking to get out of the class, when/if time becomes a constraint the instructor can prioritize and focus on the skills most important for achieving those goals. If there is time to do everything, then by all means do everything! But if a student going for a rec pass is at a 2, or weak 3, on any core skills like an S-drill or ascents, I would absolutely want to cut things like backup light deployment to provide more time to work through those issues and increase the chances of a pass (not to mention fun, safe diving after class).

Really though, my point is simply that by understanding what each student is looking to get out of the class, when/if time becomes a constraint the instructor can prioritize and focus on the skills most important for achieving those goals. If there is time to do everything, then by all means do everything! But if a student going for a rec pass is at a 2, or weak 3, on any core skills like an S-drill or ascents, I would absolutely want to cut things like backup light deployment to provide more time to work through those issues and increase the chances of a pass (not to mention fun, safe diving after class).

word. :-D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom