Funniest thing you've seen underwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbichsel:
1989-1998 time frame? When I lived in TX, we were at Travis diving nearly every weekend. Hippy Hollow was and easy swim from Windy Point and I was guilty of what you described on a few occasions.

So that was you laying down there!

Fred, So was that buddy who I think it is? The one that has several mangled fingers.

On my first wreck dive......

I was so pumped with adrenalin and excited that I forgot to put any air in my BC on the way down. So, at 90ft, I'm standing on bottom and can't push off bottom to fin to the wreck. I look over at my buddy (no names unless requested :wink: ) and he's busy pulling up his weight belt from around his ankles. Once he get it reset, he flashes me OK and I respond NO. He comes over and checks my dump valves, then give a major shot of air into my BC.

I'm sure we were an entertaining pair for the others to see!

Same day, same buddy, different wreck. He's brought down his camera this time and wants me to stand behind the wheel of The George Marsh so he can take picture. His camera floats and he's reaching up around his neck, behind his head trying to get ahold of the camera. Execpt, it isn't there, it came loose and has disappeared. While we're still in position, the next pair of divers on the charter swin over. They guy of the pair taps him on the shoulder and hands my buddy his camera. It had been spotted on the surface by a deck hand, retrieived and given to next set of divers. I almost blew my reg out laughing!

Dave

Wildcard:
Second hand from a friend in Maui. He was diving shallow when he sees a good looking girl in a bikini swim by. .

Actually the "bikini method" is a legitimate method of navigating.

When you are close to the boat, but not close enough to see it and know it is nearby, look up. When you see the girl in the bikini, follow her.

The theory is that if a girl in a bikini is on a dive boat but not diving, then it is reasonable to assume that she is scared and opted out. This means that if she is too scared to dive, she will not wander far from the boat, and will not stay away from it for more than a few minutes.

I guarantee, you are less than 50 meters and three minutes from surfacing your group of divers right next to the ladder.

It is also one of the more pleasurable forms of natural navigation there is.

I had a 2.5' remora molest the hell out of me and a buddy. At first it just seemed curious, however, it didn't take long until it started "hitching" rides. This was all fine, dandy, and quite amusing until it tried to latch on to my chin...

I did quite a few tumblesaults, twirls, and flails before getting the thing to finally leave us be.... atleast for a few minutes. Ugh!

One of my first classes (as an instructor) out in Lake Medina (near San Antonio, TX). Our group had just exited, and another instructor had taken his group out. One of his group brought his dog, a lab who was loose with the larger group we had there. Student swims out on surface about 30-40 ft from shore. He spit cleans his mask, shakes out the water, puts it on, hangs at the surface with his back to the shore, and starts to decend with his class (fairly shallow area).

Evidently he had "played' with the dog by shaking a toy and throwing it in the water. Dog sees master, shaking motion and hits the water like a canine missle. It executes a very nice free dive, "retrieves" the owners mask off his face, and proceeds to return to shore very proud of itself. Student surfaces, hollering. Meanwhile, anyone who had watched this little trick is just rolling on the ground, and I was told some of the class nearly lost their regs from laughing so hard.

You know you just can't put that kinda training in a manual.

We were tempted to cert the dog, but he only made a 70 on the PADI OW exam. Now if we could of just found a water loving Border Collie...

jim

My sister had the best story I've ever heard.

She was night diving in Fl. She found an octopus under a ledge that she wanted to get pictures of. She had brought a can of sardines (they love 'em) with her to lure him out. She opened the can and put it just out of reach. Two arms came out to try to get it. She had positioned a strobe on the sand to backlight the octopus. The octopus finally managed to grab the can with two of his arms. My sister, not wanting to lose her bait, grabbed the can and had a furious tug-of-war with the octopus. While tugging, the octopus sent out two more arms, grabbed her strobe and started dragging it toward his hole. My sister, seeing this, dropped the can and grabbed her ($$$$!!) strobe. While tugging with the strobe, the can of sardines disappeared into the hole. The strobe was quickly dropped while the octopus munched on his sardines.
My sister was laughing so hard she almost had to abort the dive.
And we think WE are the smartest things in the ocean???

That reminds me of a story I heard from one of the DM's in Cozumel. He told me an octopus came out of his hidey hole to investigate him, and gave him a total sniffing over, pulling and touching all of his gear. He tried to pry the reg out of the DM's mouth, and failing that, he pried the mask right off of his face and disappeared back into his hole with it. He told us to hang onto our masks! :D

My husband sometimes carries a collapsing radio antenna he uses as a pointer. He pointed it to an octopus holed up in a coral head. One arm snaked out and the tug of war started. Probably could have gotten it back easily then but he was trying to be gentle. Then the next arm and the next, and it was quite a sight.

He got it back, but I thought he should just have given the octopus his new toy to see what he did with it.

An instructor friend was taking a AOW diver for his first deep dive, they had done the usual games and challenges at depth, when the AOW diver obviously narked took out his reg and tried to force it into the mouth of a turtle who was watching them, he couldn't understand how it could breathe unaided and thought he would help it out. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom