Further dive training down in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ElGaucho

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am interested in organizing a trip for myself and a friend of mine that entails AOW + Rescue + Diving in beautiful Cozumel. We are both standard OW and have more or less the same experience diving. So it is a great opportunity to advance as a team of two in our training and take a nice vacation in the meantime.

My question in particular with Cozumel is if there is any dive op (mention the specific instructor) or private instructors someone could recommend in Cozumel. As usual, the instructor becomes the key element in training, and I hear a lot of great reviews for many dive ops in Cozumel, but not so much information regarding experiences with instructors and training.

Of course it makes sense to go with a recognized dive op since AOW can be pretty much done during the regular diving schedule, and Rescue could be an afternoon (shore) deal most of the days after a couple of nice morning tanks. We are planning on staying 7 nights, but could extend that if needed a few days. The idea is to get AOW+Rescue, and a lot of fun diving in the process.

My idea is to stay at Casa del Mar or Blue Angel since they have shore diving, and I thought it would be good for practicing whatever we learn in our week's training.

Any views, recommendations or comments are welcome.

Hi-I recommend Mau at Scubamaucozumel. They are located at Villa Blanca. He is incredibley patient and safe. You will enjoy the area that Villa Blanca offers and doing your shore dives there are free also while you are doing your coarse. They are a padi related shop. They can get you a deal at Villa Blanca hotel also. Hope you have fun, you will if you use Mau and Opal. Googel Scubamaucozumel.com kevin

In addition to what Kevin stated, Mau is origionally from Mexico City as your profile states you are.

You also have to have your CPR and First Aid to get your Rescue Cert. I believe ScubaMau can now train you for that discipline as well. E-mail them and ask.

Hi El Gaucho. I also recommend ScubaMau for your AOW & rescue training and all diving in Cozumel. They offer CPR as well. Mau and Opal own and run a great dive operation, and as said in this thread, emphasis on safety is priority, and you can indeed practice your skills right across the street from ScubaMau and Villa Blanca. They also have access to pool sessions, I understand. Shore dives at the Villa Blanca are pleasant and shallow, not too much current, easy access, and ScubaMau will bring your tanks to the shore entry point, get you set up, etc. Perfect place to practice your skills, do a checkout dive and/or take classes.

We just returned from Cozumel last week, diving with ScubaMau and stayed at the Villa Blanca. Mau is a great instructor indeed, very thorough and calm, really emphasizes safety and you never feel rushed. ScubaMau has great divemasters and really takes care of their customers. We have been to Cozumel many times and been diving with other operators, but ScubaMau is our favorite for many reasons. We actually followed Mau and Opal from a previous operator when they opened ScubaMau a couple of years ago.

You won't go wrong with ScubaMau.

Good luck with your additional scuba training and safe diving always,
Mel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom