Fusion and p-valves -- How to handle the Lycra?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ok, so maybe this is a bit of a hyjack (my apologies), but along the same lines. How long did you wait (or how many dives) with your drysuit before deciding that a p-valve was needed? My new TLS350 was put in the mail today :D and am just starting to think of the "little" things I'll need to get to complete my new setup. I know I can hold it for quite a while if needed (have preferred not to go in my wetsuit too often) but see more and more threads about ppl installing p-valves. Will definitely dive my new suit for a while before I worry about dealing with catheters and everything else but thought I would ask. "now back to your regularly scheduled program"

As much as I hate to say it, I'm considering the Halcyon balanced.

Why the "hate"? I would think that most of the ones with the T-tube would not be so nice with the Fusion because I'd think that the p-tube will actually show through the garment quite a lot? The valve part is hard plastic and would be kind of poky/bulgy on the thigh, no?

ok, so maybe this is a bit of a hyjack (my apologies), but along the same lines. How long did you wait (or how many dives) with your drysuit before deciding that a p-valve was needed? My new TLS350 was put in the mail today :D and am just starting to think of the "little" things I'll need to get to complete my new setup. I know I can hold it for quite a while if needed (have preferred not to go in my wetsuit too often) but see more and more threads about ppl installing p-valves. Will definitely dive my new suit for a while before I worry about dealing with catheters and everything else but thought I would ask. "now back to your regularly scheduled program"

Start a new thread...

I Just installed a halcyon p-valve on my fusion. I installed it into the bilaminate layer as normal. For the lycra layer I just cut a small slit in it, stretched it over the valve and then brushed aquaseal around the edges of the hole. The idea is that the aquaseal, once dry will prevent the lycra from fraying or tearing. I haven't actually taken it out since installing the valve, so I can't tell you how well it's worked but I really (really) hope it works well.
At any rate the lycra/aquaseal is thin enough that I can screw the cap down all the way to close the valve.

I Just installed a halcyon p-valve on my fusion. I installed it into the bilaminate layer as normal. For the lycra layer I just cut a small slit in it, stretched it over the valve and then brushed aquaseal around the edges of the hole. The idea is that the aquaseal, once dry will prevent the lycra from fraying or tearing. I haven't actually taken it out since installing the valve, so I can't tell you how well it's worked but I really (really) hope it works well.
At any rate the lycra/aquaseal is thin enough that I can screw the cap down all the way to close the valve.

The new Halcyon Streamlined P-Valve is really nice. I would agree that the one piece valve would seem to be less bulky than the parts of the balanced Salvo that would easily be seen in the tight fusion suit.

Starfish, I'm curious why you would be concerned about the cap not screwing down all the way? The Halcyon valve unscrews into two pieces for installation. The top part with the cap is unaffected by suit thickness. Am I missing something?

I think on the Fusion, my only concern is the material running like a bad pair of ladies nylons. Securing the Lycra would be a main concern.

Lynne, was Whites any help with this? Can they do the installation?

Lynne, was Whites any help with this? Can they do the installation?

I asked about ordering the Fusion with the p-valve installed from the factory, and was told that ordering a p-valve with the suit automatically makes the suit a "custom" suit, which adds a $250 up charge plus a $250 charge for the valve and install. $500 for a p-valve suddenly made the H valve look downright cheap. :shakehead: I seem to recall being told, however, that if I bought the suit and then subsequently sent it back to Whites to install a p-valve it would just be a repair at that point and would not incur the $250 custom fee. Seems like a really crazy way to get a p-valve installed from the factory.

Tyler- FWIW, Whites has been excellent about listening to feedback from folks on the forum. I'd suggest that Whites revisit this pricing structure for p-valves.

FWIW, Whites has been excellent about listening to feedback from folks on the forum. I'd suggest that Whites revisit this pricing structure for p-valves.
Or offer a viable solution to some of the self installs such as a recommended installation proceedure for both the lycra and the tech skins. They have already done the research and know what works and does not work. It could get expensive real quick for the DIY crowd if a mistake is made.

Regards

I asked about ordering the Fusion with the p-valve installed from the factory, and was told that ordering a p-valve with the suit automatically makes the suit a "custom" suit, which adds a $250 up charge plus a $250 charge for the valve and install. $500 for a p-valve suddenly made the H valve look downright cheap. :shakehead: I seem to recall being told, however, that if I bought the suit and then subsequently sent it back to Whites to install a p-valve it would just be a repair at that point and would not incur the $250 custom fee. Seems like a really crazy way to get a p-valve installed from the factory.

Tyler- FWIW, Whites has been excellent about listening to feedback from folks on the forum. I'd suggest that Whites revisit this pricing structure for p-valves.

You memory is perfect!!! Those are rough numbers, but pretty close to accurate:shakehead:

I have asked them to revisit this price on the P-valve as I know they are losing money and not selling many.....Its weird because if we have the suit sent back a week later to them, to install the p-valve, there is no MTM(Made to Measure) charge, they only charge for P-valve install....You would think it would be the same if not cheaper to have it all done at the factory.....Im trying guys...I will send an email to the VP of Marketing today and see what we can get back:14:

As for install ideas....I have a few, but you guys are on the right track with your ideas as well...LG has the one that I like so far...as long as you can turn the valve, dont even cut thru the skin...it should last longer unless you can put adequate seam protection to stop the suit material(neo) from running and the whole suit shredding....Plus after X dives if it becomes stinky, just pull of the neo skin and clean with mirazyme.....**Poof** Brand new :D

Starfish, I'm curious why you would be concerned about the cap not screwing down all the way? The Halcyon valve unscrews into two pieces for installation. The top part with the cap is unaffected by suit thickness. Am I missing something?

Initially I installed the valve underneath the lycra layer, so at that point no, the top part wasn't affected by suit thickness. Then I removed the cap (not the outer part of the valve, just the cap), pulled the bit of the valve that the cap screws onto through the lycra and then replaced the cap. So now the lycra is between the valve and the base of the cap and thickness becomes an issue.

The "p" in p-valve stands for paranoia, and I just don't like the idea of having a tube leading from the warm dry inside my suit out to the cold wet and generally unpleasant ocean without having a way of shutting it off.

Good day all....

We are currently looking at all options for pee valve installation. In the past pee valves were not on our list of priorities; however with the launch of the Fusion, clearly that has now changed, and we will most certainly be looking at this.

I will be releasing new pricing in the days to come.

Thanks again for all of your feedback!

Tyler

Back
Top Bottom