Fusion Drysuit - Can't Stay Warm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Taath

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

Using a Whites Fusion Tech drysuit. As the title indicates, I can't stay warm for the life of me. I'm using the Underarmor extreme cold gear as a base layer with the White's thermal fusion on top of that.

I'm diving in 54 degree water, so I feel like I should be warm in this setup. I am not one to normally get cold, but I haven't been able to stay warm in this suit yet.

I have tried diving it with just enough air to relieve squeeze and I've tried intentionally overweighting and using the suit for buoyancy to have lots of gas in it for warmth. Both ways I get cold. The cold seems to penetrate right through my undergarments.

Could it be the plastic bag liner of the fusion? Anyone else have similar experiences or find a solution?

My USIA Techniflex (bilam/trilam suit, can't remember which) is all "plastic" (or whatever it is) on the inside. I'm not sure how warm the Thermal Fusion is. Have you thought about getting different undies? Or using merino wool as a base layer? Do you have good enough socks and are you using dry gloves?

I'm warm enough in 48F water in Fourth Element Arctic with FE Xeotherm (thin fleece undies) under it.

I dive a Fusion Tech with 4th Element Arctic over expedition weight MEC underwear and am good down to the mid 30's. Are your hands,feet and head warm as that can make a big difference in comfort. My buddy dives a Fusion Bullet with Thermal Fusion and no other underwear and is good down to the mid 30's as well. We both have some bioprene but I can't understand why you are not warm in the mid 50's, maybe the Underarmor is defeating the warmth of the Thermal Fusion.

I'm diving in 54 degree water, so I feel like I should be warm in this setup. I am not one to normally get cold, but I haven't been able to stay warm in this suit yet.
Have you dove the same undies in a different suit and stayed warm? The Fusion won't provide any warmth itself, but shouldn't be any colder than other shell suits. Sounds like you need to experiment with different undergarment configurations.

I recently dove my Fusion Sport in 57F water, lightweight Capilene base layer (two piece), 200 weight fleece jumpsuit (sleeveless), Whites MkII undergarment, Wigwam synthetic hiking socks. By the 3rd dive my arms were getting chilled but warm enough everywhere else.

Have you thought about getting different undies? Or using merino wool as a base layer? Do you have good enough socks and are you using dry gloves?

I haven't tried any other undergarments with this suit. I fear that getting a big puff suit will be counter-productive to the flexibility of the suit. Supposedly, the Thermal Fusion is supposed to be really warm.....

The UA Extreme Cold gear doesn't appear to be the problem. I've tried diving the suit with and without the base layer (still using Thermal Fusion) with no changes. I am wearing Merino Wool socks with Fourth Element arctic socks over them, feet stay plenty warm. I've used dry and wet gloves. Even in 3mm wet gloves my hands stay relatively warm.

Are your hands,feet and head warm as that can make a big difference in comfort. My buddy dives a Fusion Bullet with Thermal Fusion and no other underwear and is good down to the mid 30's as well. We both have some bioprene but I can't understand why you are not warm in the mid 50's, maybe the Underarmor is defeating the warmth of the Thermal Fusion.

Hands, feet, and head are all good. Just the core and legs that get chilled. It's tolerable, just really feels cold. I've tried with and without the UA Extreme cold, no difference really.

Have you dove the same undies in a different suit and stayed warm?

I did dive the Thermal Fusion in a Hollis DX300 and I recall being warmer. Water temps were in the low 60's at that time tho, so may have been a function of water temp.

You don't need to get something puffy. Maybe just a better base layer. A lot of the guys here swear by merino wool base layer.

I have a Lavacore which has a Merino wool layer. Wonder how that would work as a base layer.

Maybe you need to fuel the furnace a little more as you seem to have adequate thermal protection.

Maybe you need to fuel the furnace a little more as you seem to have adequate thermal protection.

Presuming you mean be more active on the dive? I've tried that too. Even when active and kicking way more than I should be I'm still chilled.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom