Fusion socks leaking - multiple reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marie13

Great Lakes Mermaid
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Who else has had their Fusion socks leak on them recently on a fairly new suit? These are all the AirCore suits, although the sock material has to all be the same.

I’ve got a Fusion Fit, arrived in Sept. One sock started leaking after a few months of diving it. Another person I know with a Fit, a few months older than mine, had a sock spring a leak last week.

Same thing has happened with two people who have the Bullet model, suits perhaps six months older than mine. Of the four people (including me) this has happened to, three of suits were out of my shop. Two of us have chosen to have the socks replaced. We were already considering it because the suit socks were too big for our feet. Third is considering it, depending on cost of repairs. Unknown on fourth.

Of the four of us, none of us kept the Fusion boots locked to the suit. Two of us used the boots, but put them on new each diving day. Second two people used CTs.

I’m told my shop will be reporting the problem to AquaLung, complete with documentation.

Interesting.

Out of curiosity was a pressure test done on the suits to determine the location of the leaks? if so, are they all in the same location? along the seams? if not along the seams, where?

Talking with my local shop, it seems there was an issue with the Aircore bags leaking in multiple spots - however, with the newer bags, I understand manufacturing of the Aircore is back in Canada and problem should be resolved.

Just for a data point, I've had my Fusion Tech (drycore) socks leak around the top of the sock where it comes in contact with the boot. Nothing lower in the sock though.

Interesting.

Out of curiosity was a pressure test done on the suits to determine the location of the leaks? if so, are they all in the same location? along the seams? if not along the seams, where?

Pressure test was done (or will be done) on the three through my shop. Not sure on the fourth. On mine and another, the fabric was fraying around seam near heel. Not sure on the third through my shop.

These are not leaks in the body of the suit. Just the socks, which seem to be a different material than the rest of the suit.

My dive buddies new fusion just started leaking at the socks from multiple pin holes in the soles of the suit. We are just going to put a large patch on both of them and keep our fingers crossed.

Have not had a problem with mine....yet. I have the fusion boots and keep them attached between dives. I also have the black plastic inserts that came with the boots inserted in the socks to help "lock" them in place...above that I put some soft foam insoles I pulled out of my hiking boots.
I really like my suit, and I really like being dry when I dive, I am hoping I do not develop this problem.

@Marie13, I know you took your suit back to DRIS and had neoprene socks installed, but did you have any discussions about having Aqualung warranty repair or replace the suit? What were DRIS' thoughts on this?

-Z

Complaints like this seem to be an on going issue with breathable drysuits. Six or so months after a manufacturer comes out with their latest and greatest breathable drysuit posts like this start showing up. Breathable seems like a great idea but it would be nice if the manufacturers would thoroughly test the product before sending them out to the customer.

Complaints like this seem to be an on going issue with breathable drysuits. Six or so months after a manufacturer comes out with their latest and greatest breathable drysuit posts like this start showing up. Breathable seems like a great idea but it would be nice if the manufacturers would thoroughly test the product before sending them out to the customer.

It’s not the body of the suit. It’s the socks, which are a different material. And the AirCore has been out since 2015 or 2016.

Have not had a problem with mine....yet. I have the fusion boots and keep them attached between dives. I also have the black plastic inserts that came with the boots inserted in the socks to help "lock" them in place...above that I put some soft foam insoles I pulled out of my hiking boots.
I really like my suit, and I really like being dry when I dive, I am hoping I do not develop this problem.

@Marie13, I know you took your suit back to DRIS and had neoprene socks installed, but did you have any discussions about having Aqualung warranty repair or replace the suit? What were DRIS' thoughts on this?

-Z

I was going to have the much too big socks replaced anyway. The leak just changed the timing. A repair would not have helped with the much too big sock problem.

I tried the suit with the boots locked on with the plastic inserts - once. It resulted in all the extra material being bunched up at the toes, which drove me bats. Very uncomfortable. Plus my feet ended up moving around on the plastic inserts.

I’m told shop is contacting AL. We’ll see what they say. Frankly, since I was going to get the socks replaced anyway, fighting to get compensation from AL is not worth my time. The socks were something like 3”-4” too long. One size fits most, my a$$!

Reactions: Zef
Whilst this may not be related.

I remember talking to a shop owner that sold a lot of Neoprene (compressed and uncompressed) suits.
He was saying that he was always being asked why they always developed holes in the feet of the suits notably those with rock boots.
Having watched divers change, he noticed they often walked around in the 'socks' with out the boots on whilst changing. Similarly they stood on their suit whilst changing. Having noticed this, he started to look at the damage. He strongly believed, that this was when the damage often occurred. He had changed his changing practice to ensure he always had a changing mat, and stepped out of the suit on to the mat. Put his boots on immediately etc. ... All of a sudden, he had a lot fewer pin prick holes in his suit.

I have kept this in mind ever since.

Note, I have a Whites suit, it has been great to date, it must be 4 or 5 years old.

Gareth

Back
Top Bottom