Future aka New Normal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you guys actually read headlines? I thought they were just to help you find an article to read, and preferably the article will lead you to source material to read, and then you can go to fact-checking sites. Otherwise, you are at the mercy of trolls, bigots, and idiots.

Do you guys actually read headlines? I thought they were just to help you find an article to read, and preferably the article will lead you to source material to read, and then you can go to fact-checking sites. Otherwise, you are at the mercy of trolls, bigots, and idiots.
I agree with you. But when I really think: wow that is great! An it is important to me, I try to find as much evidence that I can that it is not true. If it still stands after that, I consider it again. Hariri says some very interesting things about it:

Direct flight from the states to Biak, to Manado, to Morotai. Three examples which never happened.
True I remember when I started diving Indonesia, there was even mention of a LAX-Biak-Jakarta flight in that 97 edition of Kal Muller's "Dive Indonesia" book (aka "the Bible"). I never found it mentioned anywhere else and Biak grew in my mind as a big city...
Now that I know Indonesia : LAX-Biak? ... come on, sounds like a prank for newbies...

On the other hand, there was a very convenient bi weekly flight Kuala Lumpur-Manado that was operated by Malaysia carriers around 2009 I recall. Before that time I knew and met one of Malaysia's senior flight manager, he was wondering which new routes M'sia could open, I talked to him about the tourist market growing in Manado hosting world known dive spots. Six months after that I heard Malaysia was operating a direct flight to Manado (and used that flight).
I cannot help thinking our discussion had an impact on the decision.

Unfortunately Malaysia stopped that KUL-MDC route not even a year after due to poor occupancy rate.
I cannot help thinking I would be a bad flight manager.

There used to be a flight between L.A. and Biak (via Honolulu) and then onward to Bali and Jakarta with Garuda. That stopped in 96 once garuda had newer planes. Used to be at least one liveaboard in the area at that time, Larry Smith was running it.

There used to be a flight between L.A. and Biak (via Honolulu).
Really?... Biak? ... So that was not a legend?
Wondering how many pax would disembark in Biak even though one liveboard was there...
That country never ceases to amaze...
( I also remember 2011 in Ambon when Garuda promoted their new Singapore-Ambon direct flight... which never happened.)

There has been talk for a few years of singapore-manado-sorong flights by Silkair for a few years. Have not happened yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom