G10/YS-110a issue ... am I too stupid to own a camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Several weeks ago I took delivery on my new setup ... which includes a Canon G10 and a YS-110a strobe. I also have a YS-25 that I've been planning to use as a slave.

When I first got the setup, I was using it in Auto mode to get used to all the hardware, and everything was working just fine. Then ... when I went to Bonaire, I took a photo class to learn how to use the camera in manual mode. And one thing I learned was that the stobe wouldn't fire when the camera was in manual mode. So I put it away and just used my little YS-25 during my trip.

Upon my return I sent the YS-110a back to Backscatter ... where I bought it. They tested it, tweaked it, and sent it back to me saying it worked fine. I still couldn't get it to fire in manual mode. So back it went again.

This time they replaced it and sent me a new one. I got it today ... hooked it up ... and STILL couldn't make it fire in manual mode.

AFAIK, I'm doing everything the manual says to do. Got the camera's flash in "force" mode, to make sure it fires. Tried the strobe in both the Manual 1 and Manual 2 setting ... with the Slave mode turned on. Still nothing.

So this afternoon I got Russ on the phone and had him talk me through it. We tried a few different settings, and then I went back to the Manual 2 setting and "poof" ... the strobe fired. OK ... tried it again. It fired again. I thanked Russ, hung up, turned the power off and went diving.

At the dive site ... the strobe wouldn't fire. I fiddled and diddled with it underwater for about 10 minutes and finally got it to fire. Again ... Manual 2 with Slave turned on.

Took two shots just fine. Third shot ... no strobe again. I waited a minute or so, thinking maybe the recycle was just slow ... still nothing. At that point I just gave up.

So my question is this ... does ANYONE out there have a clue what might be causing this problem? I've done everything the manual said to do. I've tried every possible combination of settings.

IT CAN'T BE THIS HARD!

Since this is the second strobe ... I've gotta believe it's either (a) operator error or (b) there's something fundamentally incompatible between the G10 and the YS-110a. If someone out there's using this combo successfully, that rules out (b).

I'm seriously aggravated ... this isn't why I purchased a $3K+ setup ... honestly I was taking better pics with my little Casio point-n-shoot than I'm taking now.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated ... frankly, at this point I'm ready to write off that model strobe and try something else. But I'd first like to satisfy myself that this isn't simply a case of stupid on the photographer's part ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob...:rofl3::rofl3: ok, I feel better.

First off, there are two different possible issues..

1. The stobe fires, but is not synced with the camera ( the preflash issue)

2. The stobe did not fire when the camera did.

Any time the stobes don't go off, you have to check and make sure:

1. The camera stobe fired.

2. The light from the camera got to the YS, and caused it to trigger.

On the G10, if you put the unit in forced flash, it stays there, regardless of the where you turn the dial...which is not the case with some other cameras.

If the stobe fires, then it has to be set on the correct preflash setting and with manual, as already pointed out, that is zero in manual and one for everything else.

I have the G10 and two YS110's (sadly, not the a model)...but the controls appear to be the same.

And yes, you need to get rid of that setup as fast as possible, if you send it to me, I will be happy to spend many days doing incantations over it until the demons are purged from it's very soul...and then use it to take lots of great pictures.

Bob

As I recall the YS110 has to be in slave mode

To determine which setting to use between manual one and manual two, turn the strobe on. face it back at yourself then take a pic of the strobe with your flash forced on. if the strobe is in sync the frame will be blown out if not, set it to the other setting and repeat.

I also use a YS 110 and a YS 25 combo you need to do this test with both strobes.

Did you try replacing your FO cable? What you are describing sounds very similiar to the dreaded "demonic synch cord possesion", something that above water studio & wedding photogs can encounter, usually from an intermittent short that is aggravated by the synch cord flexing. An FO cable is a similiar "weak link", even if it isn't a wire strand cord.

You did say the camera and flash will sometimes work for a bit, then not work (or vice-versa) when nothing else (camera mode, flash setting etc.) is changed. A demonically possesed (or just plain faulty) FO cable could cause these symptoms. The cable could have gotten kinked and split the fiber strand or the bare end could be obstructed or dirty at either end. Try swapping cables, it'll be cheaper than shipping the whole outfit to Nemrod. :eyebrow: // ww

Did you try replacing your FO cable? What you are describing sounds very similiar to the dreaded "demonic synch cord possesion", something that above water studio & wedding photogs can encounter, usually from an intermittent short that is aggravated by the synch cord flexing. An FO cable is a similiar "weak link", even if it isn't a wire strand cord.

You did say the camera and flash will sometimes work for a bit, then not work (or vice-versa) when nothing else (camera mode, flash setting etc.) is changed. A demonically possesed (or just plain faulty) FO cable could cause these symptoms. The cable could have gotten kinked and split the fiber strand or the bare end could be obstructed or dirty at either end. Try swapping cables, it'll be cheaper than shipping the whole outfit to Nemrod. :eyebrow: // ww

Swapping cables (or just checking the connections on both ends) will not address the demonic issues... for that he needs to send it to me, not Nemrod...

Yes, that might fix his issue, but he would still have to deal with the demon...sending it to me resolves both issues... oh, and I will pay for shipping....because I care that much..

Shipping issues aside ... yes, I've swapped the cables. The YS-25 works perfectly on either cable. The YS-110a does not.

This strobe has three settings ... Manual 1 is for digital compacts with preflash ... Manual 2 is for cameras without preflash ... TTL is for TTL. In this case, just to be on the safe side, I tried several test fires on each setting, both in manual and Auto. Oddly, the camera in Auto fires the strobe in TTL, and not in Manual 1.

I've noticed that there are three "Flash Output" settings ... Minimum, Medium, and Maximum. Would the output of the flash affect this operation? It's been set on Minimum, but that's easily enough kicked up. Seems like there's adequate light coming through the cord at the Minimum setting, however.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

How do you turn the flash to manual? I do not see this setting anywhere. Or are you referring to the little lightning bolt (which I've been referring to as "force"). If that's the case, that's exactly how I've been using it. I turned off the red-eye the day I got the camera.

FWIW - I originally wanted a D-2000 ... but both Reef and Backscatter told me they were unavailable because of Inon's recent decision to cut off it's American distributor.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

On the G10 I believe that when you select an auto mode, Auto, Av or Tv the camera strobe selects Auto as well unless you have gone into the menu and turned it to MANUAL. In camera Manual exposure mode he camera program normally selects strobe Manual mode. This is why your strobe fires in one but not the other depending on if the YS "thing" is selected to mode 1 or 2 etc.

You are confusing yourself because you do not understand how your camera works, on page 302 function modes are given. What I am telling you to do is to go into the menu and select the strobe always--ALWAYS--to manual power selection and then set it to the lowest setting.

One caveat, when you select camera exposure to Auto the camera strobe will revert to Auto but in Av or Tv it will return to Manual (if set to such in the menu).

Since I am doing this from mostly memory of a manual I read once for a camera I don't own you may have to read through your manual yourself and fine tune my statements if you follow but I am pretty sure I am not leading you astray. N
With due respect ... my instruction manual doesn't show me the settings you're talking about ... and I DO have it right here in front of me.

Furthermore ... I asked for help ... not "I'm so much smarter than you" attitude. You're not even reading what I write here ... as evidenced by the fact that you keep telling me to do things I've already said I'm doing.

Thanks ... I don't need your comments. They're not helpful. If you do not have the equipment I'm using, then please leave this discussion to people who do.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I don't know what the attitude is all about, never mind, I like to kid around to keep things light, sorry I tried to help you--forget it.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom