G250 or R380?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dstang65

Registered
Reaction score
Which is better and what should I expect to pay? Finally got the cash and it's burning a hole in my pocket.

Is that just for the 2nd stage? Or is that the 1st and 2nd combined? If it is for the first only how much should I expect to pay for the R380/MK20? Thanks for your replies.

hey, just thought i would make a suggestion, that their is more adjustment on the G250 and that can be benifical if you ever dive in cool water, also i personally do not like small diaghram regs, i prefure the breath of a G250 then the R380, although the R380 would make a good alternate air source regulator

The R380 is an unbalanced design. And while people report that it breaths nicely I have also heard that it is inferior to the R190 (this is based on hearsay and not my own experience) I have also heard that the breathing changes noticiably below 100 feet. I also think you cannot open it up underwater if there is something stuck in it

The G250 is a balanced second stage that is adjustable. It is an extremely high performance reg that I feel would be worth the incremental price difference.

I use 3 D400's and 1 G200 exclusively with MK20 1st stages. So the only reg I can open is the G200.

USES

The R380 in my opinion would make an excellent backup reg (or octo) and would also be suited for stage bottles. This is due to its lower performance and unbalanced design

whereas the G250 is a HP primary reg. Will also serve nicely in any other role, but there are less expenvsive regs for that (the R380)

If you can swing it, the D400, G500 and the new S600 is where the sweetness oozes from. The Mk20 1st stage is a must, don't even think of the 18. And while you are at it, don't bother with the UL (ultralight either) they really aren't worth the extra cash, unless you have an abundance of it... and by chance if you do, I could use some :wink:

burning a hole in my pocket

I have recently pantented a new ultra-top-secret fiber that is great at holding others cash ... If that extra cash starts buring too hot, my pockets can hold others extra cash just fine!

=-)

Dstang
I got my stuff from ScubaSciences in Phoenix AZ, they have a web site scubasciences.com. I have the R380 octo it's my back-up, my 1st and 2nd stage combo is the S600/MK20. I like the S600 a lot, however it's a little expensive. They are alot of web sites to checkout so take your time and shop around. good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom