G7x II Macro Issues - Issue or just Operator Error?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snowdog61

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I got a G7X ii to replace my beloved S95 (Recsea housing started leaking and was in need of a rebuild which couldn't get done before the next dive trip). I had been using Inon UCL-165 & 330 lenses without issues and was very happy with the results. New rig is all Nauticam, including the CMC-1 macro lens. The issue is with the autofocus - I could get it to lock-in dry but underwater, not once was I able to get a focus lock. Luckily the camera did great without the diopter but sure could have used it more than a few times. Lens was mounted on it's 67mm-to-bayonet adapter and then to the bayonet on the housing. Vignetting was severe compared to the previous Inon/Recsea setup. I mostly gave up trying to use the macro but I'm sure more practice will help but uncertain as to how much. So the question is: Is this just the way it is for this setup? Extremely picky with regards to zoom and stability when trying to focus this Iens? I haven't tried my Inon lenses so guess that is probably the next step.

I just saw Nauticam released a milder diopter CMC-2 that is 2.8x vs 4.5x and they do talk a good bit about autofocus

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom